Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

May Be Studying in LA, What Kind of Budget?

May Be Studying in LA, What Kind of Budget?

Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Sabrococo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: May Be Studying in LA, What Kind of Budget?

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
When I was in L.A. I didn't need annual car emission test, probably because it was a new car. You would want to check the California DMV office website though, to be sure.
I haven't heard of Council tax before.
council tax would probably be like city tax?
Thanks man!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:44 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sabrococo
council tax would probably be like city tax?
Thanks man!
I have never owned a property, so I don't know how property tax goes. However, if you rent a place, you don't pay city/council tax. Utilities companies, however, may charge City tax in your bills each month (Cell Phone, Phone Line, Electricity, Gas companies all do that. Usually all the taxes and fees add up to about 10% more for the bills)
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:47 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

If you can find somewhere with parking, it should be easy and free (wel included in your rent).

Most new built housing has parking thesedays, i stayed in Hollywood with my husband for a few weeks and we found most flats come with underground parking and gym facilities, not sure how close it is to wher eyou want to be, but parking ispossible! i think there is off street parking too.
Many places will have at least one parking spot included with the rent. Since EVERYONE drives, parking tends not to be expensive, and street parking's certainly possible, although in some districts, free street parking is restricted to residents that have proper district permits displayed.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and i will be relocating soon, we already set aside a budget for an flat, which includes Parking and gym so we wont have to pay extra for them which is already something. But what else? in the UK, you should expect to pay council tax, car tax, insurance, utilities, phone, internet etc
Parking where you live is one problem, you've got to consider where you'll park at the other end, that's the big cost.

Rental should include any taxes, but if your getting a condo/complex there probably extra management fees on top. Water/rubbish/sewage should be included.

Car will have insurance, initial sales tax, potential annual excise tax, registration, plates, inspection and title costs.

Cable/internet/phone would probably be cheaper with a bundle deal, what you get depends where you live, around $100-180 a month.

Mobile phone, depends what you get as a package and if you need data etc, probably $50-150 a month.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MacLover
Hey guys,

Next year or the year after (depending on when I finish my current course early or not) I am looking to go to LA and study at Le Cordon Bleu (I was originally going to do it in Paris but LA has a Degree which is better than the Paris offering of Diploma).

Basically I have worked out the cost of the course and getting there just not the living costs I see apartments can go from $650 to thousands (Realtor.com) but I have no idea what I should expect for utilities in LA I am hoping that I can live on around $2,000 a month (including everything from apartment to lunches, although that looks like fairy tale land).

If it is cheaper to live outside LA and get a cheap car would that be better? or should I just stick to inside LA?

Thanks for reading and I hope I make enough sense

ML
I'd advise if it's Pasadena to look on Craig's list for room rentals in Pas., South Pas,. Eagle Rock, Highland Park, Glendale. If it's Hollywood, then Atwater, Silverlake, Los Feliz. All decent, affordable areas with lots of places that include utilities and parking. After you get to know some people at school you can change to suit. You'll pay around $700. These places are commutable.