British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   May be a dumb question...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/may-dumb-question-111049/)

cjb Sep 5th 2002 10:09 pm

May be a dumb question......

.......once I have my interview in London and *fingers crossed* get my K1 visa, it will be 3 or 4 months before I will be moving....once I have my visa and my plans are finalised, do I need to inform anyone that I will be leaving the UK? ie. local government, tax man.......whatever.........

Is there a procedure to follow or am I worrying over nothing?

Rete Sep 6th 2002 2:10 am

Re: May be a dumb question......

Originally posted by cjb:
.......once I have my interview in London and *fingers crossed* get my K1 visa, it will be 3 or 4 months before I will be moving....once I have my visa and my plans are finalised, do I need to inform anyone that I will be leaving the UK? ie. local government, tax man.......whatever.........

Not a dumb question and I don't have the answer for you. But lots of Brits here and I'm sure that someone will soon give you the information you need.
In fact check out www.britishexpats.com as they might have a link for you to read about this subject.

Rete

cjb Sep 7th 2002 7:18 pm

Originally posted by Rete:

Not a dumb question and I don't have the answer for you. But lots of Brits here and I'm sure that someone will soon give you the information you need.
In fact check out www.britishexpats.com as they might have a link for you to read about this subject.

Rete
Thanks for the link.........I'll have a look :D

Patrick Sep 8th 2002 12:19 am

Originally posted by cjb:

Your not alone CJB, I have been researching this myself for the last couple of months and the answer seems to be that you don't seem to have to tell a lot of people. I served in the Forces so I must tell the army so that they can take me off the reserve list. Local Government don't care, if you PAYE then your tax is calculated automatically and they seem to care, but the guy I spoke to sounded as intelligent as my coffee table. I was planning on visiting the tax office before I left and give them my Mums address for my P60, and hope I speak to someone intelligent. If your not PAYE then speak to the tax office. Your driving license isn't valid once you have left a valid address (I was thinking about changing it to my mums address but haven't decided whether to do it yet)

I haven't found out I register to vote abroad yet.

I still have a list as long as your arm of people to ring to check things but I think your worrying unduly, then again I worried about it enough to make a list of people to ring so your not alone.

Good luck
Patrick

cjb Sep 8th 2002 6:09 pm

Thanks Patrick :)

I actually just sent an email to my local citizens advice center to see if they can help........other than that, I will inform the tax man and take it from there..........

Thanks again..........and anyone else who might have some more information on this matter, feel free to reply:D

Just as a matter of interest to anyone.......our approval from Nebraska came through one month after filing our petition and now I have contacted the Embassy and have returned all the required documnets to them.............so its in their hands now........

*crosses fingers*

rogerpenycate Sep 9th 2002 10:11 pm

You do need to inform the National Insurance Contributions Agency, otherwise if you stop your payments it will totally confuse them and you'll get letters for ever.
Also you may be considering keeping on your class 2 or 3
payments to keep your UK pension going (which you can get in the US later in life)
Then there is...
Electricity, Gas, Phone, Council Tax, Newspaper Boy,
Water company, Mobile phone, Account with the local bookie,
etc..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Good luck with you application.

cjb Sep 9th 2002 10:18 pm

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:
You do need to inform the National Insurance Contributions Agency, otherwise if you stop your payments it will totally confuse them and you'll get letters for ever.
Also you may be considering keeping on your class 2 or 3
payments to keep your UK pension going (which you can get in the US later in life)
Then there is...
etc..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Good luck with you application.
Thanks, Ill let them know :D

As for everyone else you mentioned.............ah.....the joys of living with your parents:cool:

Patrick Sep 10th 2002 8:24 pm

etc..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

he's back, he's bad he's Roger!

Surely you don't have to tell the above people you are leaving the country - just normal moving and final bill type thing. They don't care if your moving to Virginia or Slough as long as they get paid.

The dumb Tax office guy didn't mention NI payments! (then he was dumb)

By the time I retire Roger there will be nothing in the Governments Kitty anyway so there is no way I am paying - just pump up my 401k.

Patrick

L D Jones Sep 10th 2002 9:12 pm

Patrick wrote:
    > Electricity, Gas, Phone, Council Tax, Newspaper Boy, Water company, Mobile phone,
    > Account with the local bookie, etc..zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    > he's back, he's bad he's Roger!
    > Surely you don't have to tell the above people you are leaving the country - just
    > normal moving and final bill type thing. They don't care if your moving to Virginia
    > or Slough as long as they get paid.

And none, of course, objected to sending the final bill to the US when I contacted
all of them

rogerpenycate Sep 10th 2002 9:54 pm

Patrick,
How's the application going, I read that you had decided to speed it up.
How's Blackpool doing ?

I wrote letters to all of the Utilities etc asking them to send final bills to my brother in England who is handling all of my
finances.
I then had my mail re-directed over here, so far I've received
Phone bill, Vodafone, Water bill and Gas bill.
None of them took any notice.

Patrick Sep 16th 2002 1:24 am

Originally posted by rogerpenycate:
Patrick,
How's the application going, I read that you had decided to speed it up.
How's Blackpool doing ?

I wrote letters to all of the Utilities etc asking them to send final bills to my brother in England who is handling all of my
finances.
I then had my mail re-directed over here, so far I've received
Phone bill, Vodafone, Water bill and Gas bill.
None of them took any notice.

Hi Roger,

We are on day 15 of the process and up till now everything is going smoothly. Blackpool are 3rd in the 2nd Division and I am in Beijing at the moment on business and I beleive my wife is spending all my money on shoes in my absence!

The problem I will have is we are just up and going to America. We are not even going to Ellens home town (boston) we have decided to move to Florida and live in the sun, so we are going on spec and finding jobs and somewhere to live when we get there.

Hope everything is going OK in gini and youve got used to American ciggies and beer.

Send your address to my email account and I will send you a postcard of the great wall!

Patrick