Reload this Page >

Mature student- Education

Mature student- Education

Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Krispy81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mature student- Education

Hi there,

We will soon be moving to San Francisco, not sure exactly where yet as the company is paying for our stay for initial few months.
I am interested to find out abt doing a bookkeeping course and later a CPA (certified public accountant) qualification, can anyone advise if bookkeeping course can be done online (from home) and if I qualify to do CPA with an hons degree in applied computing or would I be required to have a finance related degree.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Louise J
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mature student- Education

Depends on the school. They're all different, all with different requirements....so ask them.

Online, from home, plenty of schools do that too.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:40 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Krispy81
Hi there,

We will soon be moving to San Francisco, not sure exactly where yet as the company is paying for our stay for initial few months.
I am interested to find out abt doing a bookkeeping course and later a CPA (certified public accountant) qualification, can anyone advise if bookkeeping course can be done online (from home) and if I qualify to do CPA with an hons degree in applied computing or would I be required to have a finance related degree.

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Louise J
These are the educational requirements to qualify to sit the CPA Exams

III. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to take the CPA Exam, you must meet the following minimum educational requirements:
 A baccalaureate degree or higher from a degree-granting college or university (or foreign equivalent evaluated by a CBA-approved foreign academic credentials evaluation service) accredited by a United States regional institutional accrediting agency or national accrediting agency
 24 semester units of accounting subjects
 24 semester units of business-related subjects
Accounting Subjects
CBA Regulation Section 9.2(b) defines the following subjects as qualifying toward the 24 semester unit accounting requirement:
 Accounting
 Financial Reporting
 Auditing
 Financial Statement Analysis
 External or Internal Reporting
 Taxation
In addition, the following accounting courses meet the accounting subjects definition: Assurance, Attestation, Bookkeeping, Cost (Cost Analysis, Costing), Peachtree,
QuickBooks, and CPA Review courses taken from regionally/nationally accredited institutions.
Business-Related Subjects
CBA Regulation Section 9.2(c) defines the following subjects as qualifying toward the 24 semester unit business-related requirement:
 Business Administration
 Business Communications
 Business Law
 Business Management
 Computer Science/Information Systems
 Economics
 Finance
 Marketing
 Mathematics
 Statistics
 Business-related law courses offered at an accredited law school
In addition, any subjects in excess of the 24 semester units needed to fulfill the accounting subject requirement will be applied to the business-related requirement.

And here is the link to the California CPA site
http://www.dca.ca.gov/cba/applicants.shtml
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Krispy81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonderful Nicky thanx for the information!