British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Which mattress? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mattress-717446/)

lisa67 May 18th 2011 3:32 am

Which mattress?

So we're going to invest in a bigger bed and we'll need a new mattress.
Anyone got any recommendations?
Anyone got one of those fancy schmanzy Tempur Pedic ones?

Bob May 18th 2011 4:20 am

Re: Which mattress?

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9371268)

Slept on a couple of those while staying with family...really comfy, but horrid in the summer, sweating gonad maker those things...probably okay if you've got AC or a fan, but they keep the heat a bit.

As for brands, try them out, negotiate the price and don't buy one from a big bulk store as you'll get a much better deal from a local place.

snowbunny May 18th 2011 4:40 am

I'm not a big fan of Tempur-Pedic, but many people love them. My younger daughter, who watches television adverts faithfully, says I should get a YuMe because I'm always hot at night (no pun intended). After many years of mattresses, my faves are the Sealys. In the Texas heat I couldn't use a memory foam topper (had to throw it out) much less an entire mattress.

Jerseygirl May 18th 2011 4:42 am

Had one for about 5 years...love it.

snowbunny May 18th 2011 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9371385)
Had one for about 5 years...love it.

IIRC, you need it to be cool to sleep ? .... this is hard for me to accomplish on a memory foam mattress.

dunroving May 18th 2011 11:14 am

I've had a Sealy for about 10 years now, with a Tempur-Pedic "type" topper (from Sam's Club). They have been just great, and I've never had problems with being hot in bed (oo-er, missus).

tonrob May 18th 2011 11:24 am

Mrs tonrob and I bought a Tempur Pedic when we moved here 6 years ago. Without a shadow of a doubt we both agree (and still discus from time to time) how this was worth every single penny and was without a doubt the best investment we've made. We notice it every time we travel and stay on another kind of mattress, and we notice it again when we come back home.

Can heartily recommend. :thumbsup:

tonrob May 18th 2011 11:25 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 9371389)
IIRC, you need it to be cool to sleep ? .... this is hard for me to accomplish on a memory foam mattress.

Not heard this. In fact if a MF mattress is too cold it won't form to the shape of your body properly.

Jerseygirl May 18th 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 9371389)

We've never had a problem with the heat...but I normally keep the bedroom below 70F. Memory foam mattresses are the best invention since sliced bread IMO.

lisa67 May 18th 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
I don't like being hot in bed ;) but hubby does.....oh the dilemma.
Will need to find one and lie on it for a while....not sure if they'll let me lie there all afternoon though!,

Jerseygirl May 18th 2011 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9372256)
Thanks for the replies guys.
I don't like being hot in bed ;) but hubby does.....oh the dilemma.
Will need to find one and lie on it for a while....not sure if they'll let me lie there all afternoon though!,

I also considered a Sleep by Numbers bed...or whatever they are called. A friend has one and swears by it.

ChocolateBabz May 18th 2011 1:46 pm

Dude has a memory foam topper from Sams on top of a horrible Ikea mattress. He is only 12 but says he loves it.

We have a Sealy Posturepedic Reserve 'Whispery' that has a 'Plush Euro Pillowtop'. It is the best thing we have ever bought, we both love getting into bed. It's like sleeping on clouds filled with little kittens and marshmallow fluff :wub:.

scrubbedexpat097 May 18th 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 9372282)
Dude has a memory foam topper from Sams on top of a horrible Ikea mattress. He is only 12 but says he loves it.

We have a Sealy Posturepedic Reserve 'Whispery' that has a 'Plush Euro Pillowtop'. It is the best thing we have ever bought, we both love getting into bed. It's like sleeping on clouds filled with little kittens and marshmallow fluff :wub:.

OMG.......honey, you have lost it!:rofl::lol::lol:

lisa67 May 18th 2011 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 9372282)

I'm allergic to cats :ohmy:;)

Thanks for the info though!!

ChocolateBabz May 18th 2011 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 9372311)
OMG.......honey, you have lost it!:rofl::lol::lol:

Hee hee - not sure I ever had it to begin with ;)