Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Maternity while working in the USA

Maternity while working in the USA

Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

willyburg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maternity while working in the USA

Hi - I am employed by a UK company and going on maternity leave soon....does anyone know if I have to pay UK taxes during my leave? I currently only pay National Insurance and US taxes.

Any help would be totally appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maternity while working in the USA

Originally Posted by willyburg
... does anyone know if I have to pay UK taxes during my leave?
Maybe... maybe not.

I currently only pay National Insurance and US taxes.
What is your immigration status in the US? If you're going on maternity leave, in which country do you plan to have the baby?

Ian
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

I'm on a L2 visa - we plan to go back to live in the UK in a few years.

I currently pay US tax with my job (UK company) but as there's very little on US parental leave and laws, I have no idea whether the maternity leave I am entitled to in the UK (I still pay National Insurance) will be US tax deducted!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There is no maternity leave in the US by law, so basically, whatever your tax situation, it doesn't change.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I currently pay US tax with my job (UK company) but as there's very little on US parental leave and laws, I have no idea whether the maternity leave I am entitled to in the UK (I still pay National Insurance) will be US tax deducted!
If you're paying tax in the US then are you even entitled to UK maternity pay? I've no idea, but as its all done via PAYE and you need to give your UK tax info, I'm not sure you would be?

You also need to submit a MAT B1 form to claim it but if you're not under the care of a UK doctor I don't know how that would work either (as your doctor gives it to you)?

I think you'd actually need to be working in the UK to claim it, paying NI won't make any difference, just as paying it alone wouldn't entitle you to NHS care, child benefit, etc.

But I could be completely wrong!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 13th 2013 at 7:29 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice.

As my employer is still paying NI contributions on my behalf I can collect SMP, they've only requested an equivalent of a MAT 1B form so far.

As I'll be officially on leave (ie not working), and bearing in mind that the US does not have a stance on maternity leave, does this mean that I won't have to pay US tax on these earnings?

Tricky situation!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your advice.

As my employer is still paying NI contributions on my behalf I can collect SMP, they've only requested an equivalent of a MAT 1B form so far.

As I'll be officially on leave (ie not working), and bearing in mind that the US does not have a stance on maternity leave, does this mean that I won't have to pay US tax on these earnings?

Tricky situation!
At a guess....I would think you will have to because it's income and you are now based in the US. You will need to enter it on your US tax return.

Don't know how you can claim SMP when you are no longer a UK resident. My husband paid NI contributions for years...but the child benefit was stopped as we were no longer UK residents.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's your current US tax status? Chances are, you'll be paying tax on it, if you're in the US.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

OK looks like I'll be paying tax - thank you! I'm paying US tax at the moment Bob - and as Jerseygirl correctly pointed out, I will still be employed by the company. Thank you - makes a difference with budgeting ahead for baby!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't know how you can claim SMP when you are no longer a UK resident. My husband paid NI contributions for years...but the child benefit was stopped as we were no longer UK residents.
When we were in OK, I belonged to a British wives club, all the wives were married to US military guys and no longer UK residents. There were lots of them that still claimed Child benefit from the UK, they thought it quite ok to do so. They got around it by using a UK mailing address and bank account for direct deposit of benefit.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
When we were in OK, I belonged to a British wives club, all the wives were married to US military guys and no longer UK residents. There were lots of them that still claimed Child benefit from the UK, they thought it quite ok to do so. They got around it by using a UK mailing address and bank account for direct deposit of benefit.
We notified the Benefits Office several times...but they still kept paying the Child Benefit into our UK bank account. 7 years later...they asked for it back. Fortunately I had never withdrawn it and left it in the account.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

We notified the Benefits Office several times...but they still kept paying the Child Benefit into our UK bank account. 7 years later...they asked for it back. Fortunately I had never withdrawn it and left it in the account.
Wow! I never applied for it, we spent 10 yrs (combined) in the UK, but I never felt I was entitled to it.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Wow! I never applied for it, we spent 10 yrs (combined) in the UK, but I never felt I was entitled to it.
When I had my daughter...many new mums used to sign on unemployment and received benefits for a year. I didn't do that because I chose not to go back to work...therefore I didn't think it was right to claim unemployment benefit.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

When I had my daughter...many new mums used to sign on unemployment and received benefits for a year. I didn't do that because I chose not to go back to work...therefore I didn't think it was right to claim unemployment benefit.
Yes it didn't occur to me to do that - I was pissed off when I found out I could have.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:06 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly you have not been in the USA long enough to participate in the You Know You've Been In The USA Too Long When ... thread.

Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.