Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mass permit driving test is a joke

Mass permit driving test is a joke

Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

FlatDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Mass permit driving test is a joke

OK, here is my whine about this. I couldn't believe the type of questions asked in the electronic D class (passenger vehicle) test I took the other day. I'm wondering if they are all like this.

1st I thought I'd go read the DMV website before going for the test, on the site is an example test: EXAMPLE

It has sensible questions like:
"When planning to make a left turn across an intersection and you are waiting in the middle of the intersection for the traffic to clear, your front tires should be turned" etc.

Having been driving for 13+ years in the UK I quickly scanned the Mass drivers manual and went in to the local DMV office to take the test, boy did I fail badly, 3 times in a row too before they sent me on my way to go read the manual again.

The test is full of pointless questions that don't have anything to do with how to actually drive a car. They are all about alcohol and what the penalties are for doing something you shouldn't, or questions completely unrelated to the test I was taking!

e.g. (Remember I'm taking the D class passenger vehicle test, not the M class motorcycle test), the 1st question I got was something like "After purchasing a new motorcycle, how many days do you have to register it?" WFT?? I'm not taking the motorcycle test, so I didn't read that part of the drivers manual. This got me in a bad mood right from the start.
Then the next question comes up: "How can you tell if a pedestrian is blind?"
then the next: "If you get caught with an open bottle of alcohol in the car what is the penalty?"
"What percentage of driving accidents involve alcohol?"

and my personal favorite: "Drinking and driving is a) always recommended, b) a good idea, c) is forbidden, d) all of the above"
and so on and so on.

16 out of the 20 questions had nothing to do with how to drive a car. You've got to be kidding me, this is a joke I thought, they've given me the wrong test. So I go to the counter, say I failed, complain the questions were a load of twaddle and ask if I can go again. Next test is exactly the same sort of thing, and the test after that as well.

Quite frankly I walked out of the place in shock at how bad it was. I spent the next few nights reading the manual learning all the pointless percentages on how many accidents involve alcohol etc. and go back and eventually pass the test.

Personally the questions I answered do not qualify me to drive a car in my opinion.

Now I've got to book the practical test, god knows what that will involve, maybe how to load your shopping in the trunk or something.

What have your experiences been around this?
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:58 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mass permit driving test is a joke

You'll find it's a common theme in your new life. Just give them what they want. The standard of driving you must have observed on the roads should have been a clue.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:43 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was great...have never driven in my life, didnt read the manual..walked in and took the test and passed - very safe if you ask me............

Old Jul 5th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

My favorite question was "If you write a check to the RMV and it bounces, can we revoke your license? A. Yes B. No C. Only for more than $25 D. Only for more than $50"
Old Jul 5th 2008, 1:28 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

all you've got to remember for the drink/drugs offences is to pick the maximum sentance or fine..(or even both)..
Old Jul 5th 2008, 1:34 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

LMFAO! Your first post, and you're not only whingeing, but you're also admitting that you failed the Mass driving test... three times!

Pleased to meet you, FlatDog. You're going to fit right in around here!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

How did you manage to fail a US driving test?
You are correct - the driving test is a joke - my dog would pass it if I filled-in the application for him.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
How did you manage to fail a US driving test?
You are correct - the driving test is a joke - my dog would pass it if I filled-in the application for him.
Hahaha, you beat me to it - I was just going to say the only joke here is that he managed to fail a US driving test!!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I thought it was great...have never driven in my life, didnt read the manual..walked in and took the test and passed - very safe if you ask me............
That's good to hear. I'm looking at taking a test soon, and was a little worried. But it sounds like a doddle.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:26 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
That's good to hear. I'm looking at taking a test soon, and was a little worried. But it sounds like a doddle.
completely - i was amazed there were americans there failing!! now im not so suprised...ive seen teh way they drive,,,,
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:48 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

See now thinking the test had anything to do with driving was your first fail.

I didn't realise you needed a license in Massivetwoshits, because most of them that drive up here don't appear to have taken any test at all.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:09 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
See now thinking the test had anything to do with driving was your first fail.

I didn't realise you needed a license in Massivetwoshits, because most of them that drive up here don't appear to have taken any test at all.
which is something that we in the rest of New England always said about them in southern New England...... Some things never change!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

gmdale is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Mass permit driving test is a joke

fantastic. just about sums up my experience. another fave - what is the penalty for drag racing if you're a juvenile operator and caught for the first time. LOL.

a) i'm 30 years old - hopefully that means i shouldn't give a crap about what happens to some spotty oik if they got caught, and

b) what do you mean for the 1st time?? surely you have to be an idiot to go tearing past a black Ford Crown victoria with multiple aerials on the roof several times!!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to admit that I also found the Mass permit test really hard too.

I passed it first time but it was more down to luck than anything else. I just thank God that it was multiple choice.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:50 pm
This space for rent

freezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Muffin
I've got to admit that I also found the Mass permit test really hard too.

I passed it first time but it was more down to luck than anything else. I just thank God that it was multiple choice.
I passed the mass permit test first time....the practical was a different matter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.