British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Marrying Without a Fiance' Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/marrying-without-fiance-visa-112064/)

STICKYFROG Oct 1st 2002 3:01 am

Marrying Without a Fiance' Visa

My Fiance is here visiting me and we plan on going to Vegas to get married. He does not hold a fiance' visa though, and from all that I have heard it takes months to get one. We have been together for two years, so evidence of us being together is not a problem. Can we get married in Vegas? and he will be returning to the UK a month after to sort out some properties that he owns so he wouldnt be extending his stay in the US. So the main questions are, can we get Married in Vegas? and, Can I do the INS paperwork on my own if he fills out the forms we need and signs them before he returns back to the UK to sort out his business affairs?

Mrs_blackross Oct 1st 2002 6:38 pm

Re: Marrying Without a Fiance' Visa

the simple answer is yes. INS has no jurisdiction over whether or not he
can get married while in the US, and it is perfectly legal for him to do so.
If he is planning on returning to the UK to await INS processing while he
ties up loose ends, then yes, it is probably easier to get him to sign
everything before he goes..(saves you some postage) but depending on if you
are doing a K3 or just an I-130 for his return, you may need to send some of
the stuff to him in the UK so he has it for his interview.

"STICKYFROG" wrote in message
news:430136.1033441279@britishexpats-
.com
    > My Fiance is here visiting me and we plan on going to Vegas to get
    > married. He does not hold a fiance' visa though, and from all that I
    > have heard it takes months to get one. We have been together for two
    > years, so evidence of us being together is not a problem. Can we get
    > married in Vegas? and he will be returning to the UK a month after to
    > sort out some properties that he owns so he wouldnt be extending his
    > stay in the US. So the main questions are, can we get Married in Vegas?
    > and, Can I do the INS paperwork on my own if he fills out the forms we
    > need and signs them before he returns back to the UK to sort out his
    > business affairs?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Jumu Oct 1st 2002 10:07 pm

STICKYFROG wrote in message news:...

> Can we get
    > married in Vegas? and he will be returning to the UK a month after to
    > sort out some properties that he owns so he wouldnt be extending his
    > stay in the US. So the main questions are, can we get Married in Vegas?
    > and, Can I do the INS paperwork on my own if he fills out the forms we
    > need and signs them before he returns back to the UK to sort out his
    > business affairs?

If hes not too much in a hurry to go back to the UK you might consider
to do the initial paperwork together and file for an Advanced Parole
(reentry permitt).
If he just leaves to UK after your marriage without doing this he probably
would not be able to come back to you in the next 3 to 6 months or
how long it takes to get a marriage based visa.

chloej Jan 22nd 2004 11:58 am

Well I am currently applying for the fiance visa from the UK as we were just going to get married like you are thinking of. However, when we went down to immigration in Milwaukee, there is a risk of being deported because it is seen as 'entering the country under false pretences'. Also it may take longer for your fiance to obtain a work permit. However, if I am mistaken than someone please correct me as I would love to do what you are considering- at the moment I am in the midst of a waiting line of 5-7 months!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck:)

Originally posted by STICKYFROG
My Fiance is here visiting me and we plan on going to Vegas to get married. He does not hold a fiance' visa though, and from all that I have heard it takes months to get one. We have been together for two years, so evidence of us being together is not a problem. Can we get married in Vegas? and he will be returning to the UK a month after to sort out some properties that he owns so he wouldnt be extending his stay in the US. So the main questions are, can we get Married in Vegas? and, Can I do the INS paperwork on my own if he fills out the forms we need and signs them before he returns back to the UK to sort out his business affairs?

ladyofthelake Jan 22nd 2004 12:59 pm

Originally posted by chloej
Well I am currently applying for the fiance visa from the UK as we were just going to get married like you are thinking of. However, when we went down to immigration in Milwaukee, there is a risk of being deported because it is seen as 'entering the country under false pretences'. Also it may take longer for your fiance to obtain a work permit. However, if I am mistaken than someone please correct me as I would love to do what you are considering- at the moment I am in the midst of a waiting line of 5-7 months!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck:)
The original poster will more than likely have decided and taken action on what to do as the question was posted Sept 02 They may not be checking the forum any more.
Have you looked at the US marriage based visa section? There are lots of people with similar experiences to you.