Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Marrying on a Tourist Visa & Fees

Marrying on a Tourist Visa & Fees

Old Sep 28th 2002, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Scarlet Abyss is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Marrying on a Tourist Visa & Fees

Does anyone know if the supplement I-485A is required for everyone? The fee is $255 for I-485, but does the additional fee of $1000 for I-485A apply as well? Just trying to figure out how much all will cost...And are there any other fees I should know about, besides the fingerprinting ?

Last edited by Scarlet Abyss; Sep 29th 2002 at 1:39 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2002, 4:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying on a Tourist Visa & Fees

Originally posted by Scarlet Abyss:
Does anyone know if the supplement I-485A is required for everyone? The fee is $255 for I-485, but does the additional fee of $1000 for I-485A apply as well? Just trying to figure out how much all will cost...And are there any other fees I should know about, besides the fingerprinting? I am a US citizen, and my boyfriend is British. We have been together for 2 years, and are trying to sort this marriage thing out without getting too stressed out. We don't want to do it the spouse visa way, but rather get married (in the US) on a tourist visa (I know this isn't the proper way, but can be done)...Has anyone else done this? And what are the possible complications of doing it this way?
The I-485A fee would not apply in this case. And yes, the scenario you are thinking of doing is done every day. However, the ramifications of being caught lying at the POE about the true purpose of your visit to the US can mean a rejection of your application for permanent residency and possible deportation.

Why not do it the prescribed method ... Fiancee Visa. For a Brit and depending on the service center you have to use, it could take you only 3-5 months to complete. This is if you can use the Vermont SC. Other service centers might make the wait 6 to 8 months.

Rete
Old Sep 28th 2002, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Scarlet Abyss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete:

The I-485A fee would not apply in this case. And yes, the scenario you are thinking of doing is done every day. However, the ramifications of being caught lying at the POE about the true purpose of your visit to the US can mean a rejection of your application for permanent residency and possible deportation.

Why not do it the prescribed method ... Fiancee Visa. For a Brit and depending on the service center you have to use, it could take you only 3-5 months to complete. This is if you can use the Vermont SC. Other service centers might make the wait 6 to 8 months.

Rete
Thanks for the info I have also realized that the UK is on the Visa Waiver Program. Will this make it more difficult to file AOS, if we "spontaneously marry"?
Old Sep 28th 2002, 11:22 pm
L D Jones

Scarlet Abyss wrote:
    > Originally posted by Rete:
    > >
    > >
    > > The I-485A fee would not apply in this case. And yes, the scenario
    > > you are thinking of doing is done every day. However, the
    > > ramifications of being caught lying at the POE about the true purpose
    > > of your visit to the US can mean a rejection of your application for
    > > permanent residency and possible deportation.
    > >
    > > Why not do it the prescribed method ... Fiancee Visa. For a Brit and
    > > depending on the service center you have to use, it could take you
    > > only 3-5 months to complete. This is if you can use the Vermont SC.
    > > Other service centers might make the wait 6 to 8 months.
    > >
    > > Rete
    > Thanks for the info I have also realized that the UK is on the Visa
    > Waiver Program. Will this make it more difficult to file AOS, if we
    > "spontaneously marry"?

No

Old Sep 28th 2002, 11:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scarlet Abyss:

Thanks for the info I have also realized that the UK is on the Visa Waiver Program. Will this make it more difficult to file AOS, if we "spontaneously marry"?
Nothing spontaneous here as you already said you were planning on doing it. Now if he comes across the POE and they get a whif of your intentions ... well