Marrying my American man

Marrying my American man

Old Mar 30th 2019, 2:49 pm
AAJ
Just Joined

AAJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying my American man

Hi all.
I am just wondering if anyone can help me.. I am a U.K. citizen who has an American boyfriend. My question is.. what is easier.. marrying in U.K. or USA before moving. I plan to eventually relocate to the USA permanently and be able to work as a nurse, I will also be keeping my house in the U.K. for us to come back and forth for visiting family etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying my American man

Welcome to BE AAJ. Please have a read of forum rules when you have a moment. They are to be found on the banner head above.

In answer to your direct question, it is easier to marry in the US. For a USC to marry in the UK they would need the appropriate visa and then there is a wait time of several weeks before you can have the ceremony. In the US, all you need is the marriage license, some states have a waiting period, i.e. 1 to 3 days, and then you are free to marry. As long as you are not entering the US with the express intent to remain and file for adjustment of status, you should not have a problem coming to the US to marry. You do not need a Fiancee Visa to do this.

Please note that any questions regarding marriage visas should be asked in the appropriate forum which is the marriage-based visa forum.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 30th 2019 at 4:19 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2019, 3:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Per Rete above, marrying in the US will definitely be easier, as you don't need a visa, so long as leave again.

You should think seriously about whether you want to keep the house, as it will create a myriad of issues, most notably that you will, within three years of moving out of it and to America, create a liability for US capital gains tax on the entire gain, since you bought it, even if that was 20 or more years before you even contemplated moving to America. This also applies whether or not you rent it out, but renting it out would also create additional issues.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 30th 2019 at 3:29 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2019, 9:11 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

With respect to Nursing, are you already an RN now or would you be training from scratch in the US?
Old Apr 10th 2019, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

eharsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Welcome to BE AAJ. Please have a read of forum rules when you have a moment. They are to be found on the banner head above.

In answer to your direct question, it is easier to marry in the US. For a USC to marry in the UK they would need the appropriate visa and then there is a wait time of several weeks before you can have the ceremony. In the US, all you need is the marriage license, some states have a waiting period, i.e. 1 to 3 days, and then you are free to marry. As long as you are not entering the US with the express intent to remain and file for adjustment of status, you should not have a problem coming to the US to marry. You do not need a Fiancee Visa to do this.

Please note that any questions regarding marriage visas should be asked in the appropriate forum which is the marriage-based visa forum.
I am in the exact same situation. So I won't need anything but my ESTA in order to get married in the USA? We plan on honeymooning there for a week and then coming back to the UK (she is in the UK on a student tier 4 visa)
Old Apr 10th 2019, 10:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eharsh
I am in the exact same situation. So I won't need anything but my ESTA in order to get married in the USA?
Correct.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2019, 11:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eharsh
I am in the exact same situation. So I won't need anything but my ESTA in order to get married in the USA? ....
Correct, I did so myself, but I would recommend avoiding discussing your plans with the immigration officer at your port of entry, unless asked directly and specifically. Lying to an immigration officer is always a bad idea!