Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

marrying an american woman

marrying an american woman

Old Feb 4th 2002, 4:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No problem. That is would this NG is here for ... to help you learn the ropes of marriage-based visas.

Read the URL's for the K-1. It is quite simple and straightforward and if you don't like dealing paperwork hire an attorney who will handle it for you.

Rita
Old Feb 4th 2002, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

smith69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hi

what kind of paper work would i need if i was married by the justice of the peace and would i need to apply for a work permit after i get married
Old Feb 4th 2002, 11:14 pm
Alvena Ferreira

smith69 wrote:
    >
    >
    >
The procedure for marriage on a tourist visa is at the "tourist adjustment" link on
the Doc steen site. The procedure for filing for AOS is pretty much the same
whichever method you use, except fiance visa persons do not file I-130 and tourist
visas/other visas do. You could apply for work permit at the same time you file for
AOS, but not before. You would need a work permit in order to work legally. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================