Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Married to US citizen

Married to US citizen

Old Oct 23rd 2002, 10:31 am
Just Joined

limey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married to US citizen

Married to US citizen for 7 years, I have permanemt green card.

Husband wanted to travel around the world, left USA 2 years ago and still enjoying life on the road.

Anyone know what the status is with my green card? I heard that if you are married to a US citizen you are allowed to leave the USA for an extended period of time. But I have also heard that green card holders should not be out of the country for longer than a year.

Going over in May next year but worried about going through immigration. Any advice? Should I call the USA embassy and ask them but would I risk losing my green card? Should I just go through immigration at the airport and see what happens?

Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 2:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married to US citizen

Being married to a USC does not give a green card holder special privileges. The regulations regarding residency are the same for all green card holders. If you left the US and have resided outside of it for more than a year and/or you have given up all domicile in the US, i.e. apartment, house, bank accounts, etc. the agent at the POE can deem that you have abandoned your green card. This could happen even if you retained any of the above criteria. It would have been simplier if you had applied for US Citizenship three years after getting residency then there would be no issue.

Rete

Originally posted by limey:
Married to US citizen for 7 years, I have permanemt green
card.

Husband wanted to travel around the world, left USA 2 years ago and still enjoying life on the road.

Anyone know what the status is with my green card? I heard that if you are married to a US citizen you are allowed to leave the USA for an extended period of time. But I have also heard that green card holders should not be out of the country for longer than a year.

Going over in May next year but worried about going through immigration. Any advice? Should I call the USA embassy and ask them but would I risk losing my green card? Should I just go through immigration at the airport and see what happens?

Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 3:29 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: Married to US citizen

If you have been gone two years, and don't have a reentry permit (file
I-131 BEFORE leaving the US), then you will have a problem at the Point
Of Entry. Whether you have actually abandoned status or not, you will
have a problem. So, if you still maintain a home and other assets of
that, you might be able to convince them you haven't abandoned status.
So, you should be prepared to file I-130 again and get an immigrant
visa.

Of course, even if you have a reentry permit, you might still have
problems.
You should contact the nearest US consulate or embassy consular section
for more information.

limey wrote:
    > Married to US citizen for 7 years, I have permanemt green card.
    > Husband wanted to travel around the world, left USA 2 years ago and
    > still enjoying life on the road.
    > Anyone know what the status is with my green card? I heard that if you
    > are married to a US citizen you are allowed to leave the USA for an
    > extended period of time. But I have also heard that green card holders
    > should not be out of the country for longer than a year.
    > Going over in May next year but worried about going through immigration.
    > Any advice? Should I call the USA embassy and ask them but would I risk
    > losing my green card? Should I just go through immigration at the
    > airport and see what happens?
    > Thanks
    > --