Reload this Page >

Married in NI divorce in USA?

Married in NI divorce in USA?

Old Jul 25th 2014, 5:50 am
Just Joined

blydchyld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married in NI divorce in USA?

Hi All,

We were married 5 years ago in Belfast, NI and now live in NC in the US. Recently my wife has told me she has been having an affair and wants to divorce.

I have an appointment with a state lawyer next week however, prior to that I want to get an understanding of how the divorce process would work.

Do we have to get a divorce via the UK or can one be sought in the US? Where does she stand visa wise (She is on a L2b - so i believe that once the divorce is confirmed her eligibility to stay in the US terminates?)

I dont want her to suffer, although revenge and retribution is understandable i still very much love her and don't want her to get hurt, even if that means she is with another guy.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 6:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married in NI divorce in USA?

Originally Posted by blydchyld
Do we have to get a divorce via the UK or can one be sought in the US?
I believe it can be done in the USA.

Where does she stand visa wise (She is on a L2b - so i believe that once the divorce is confirmed her eligibility to stay in the US terminates?)
Correct. Once she is divorced from you, she no longer has any status in the USA. If her new boyfriend is a USC, she can marry him and adjust status to permanent resident without leaving the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 25th 2014, 7:56 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Generally divorce is done in the state / location where you are currently resident. I believe NC requires 6 months residency and then the hearing will be held in your county court.

North Carolina State Divorce Laws
Old Jul 25th 2014, 2:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe it can be done in the USA. ....
My sister and her ex-husband, both British, married in the UK, and later divorced in the US, after less than a year in Pennsylvania. It took a while to finalize and lengthy "cooling off" periods of six months (or perhaps longer?)are commonplace in US state divorce laws, so there could be a lengthy delay between filing for divorce and it being made absolute so the parties are free to remarry.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but people that cheat are scumbags, it's 1 thing I truly hate. Get her back to the UK ASAP and don't let her walk all over you!

Make sure the door hits her arse on the way aswel!!