Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Marriage and UK tax code

Marriage and UK tax code

Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

stu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marriage and UK tax code

Hi,

I am going to getting married to my US fiancee this weekend over in the US as I work over here on an E2 visa.

My question is, do I have to inform the Inland Revenue over in the UK to say I am married?

If so will my tax code change as I would be married with 2 step children?

My fiancee will remain in the US and I am currently employed by a UK firm who pay me in sterling but my wife and dependants will not be coming back to the UK with me when I go back at xmas.

I will be then working over there while my Visa application is going through which I will be applying for once we are married next week.

I will then be looking to work over and live over here in the US from October onwards

Does the marriage and dependant side only come into play if she was to live with me in the UK?

Do you also have to inform things like your bank in the UK, etc that I am now married?

Cheers

Stu
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage and UK tax code

I don't know for sure if there is any requirement to report your marriage to the UK inland revenue, very unlikely unless you are trying to claim "Marriage allowance", which lets you transfer £1,150 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner - if they earn more than you. ie your wife could transfer £1,150 of their personal allowance to you.
However, your wife would only get a UK personal allowance while living abroad if she is a EU citizen.

Based on what you say, assuming she is not an EU citizen, so no transfer of personal allowance to you.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 4:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you are on an E-2 and tax resident in the US then there is no need to inform HMR&C, unless you have significant tax liabilities in the UK. .... But even then, taxes in the UK are largely marriage-neutral, so being married, or not, has little relevance in the UK these days for the purposes of taxation.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 9:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you are tax resident in the US then your salaried income will be liable for US, not UK, taxation even if your employer is paying your wages in pound sterling into your UK bank account. If that's the case and you are still having tax and NI taken through PAYE then you shouldn't be. How long have you been living in the US?
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

stu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond reputestu_blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you are tax resident in the US then your salaried income will be liable for US, not UK, taxation even if your employer is paying your wages in pound sterling into your UK bank account. If that's the case and you are still having tax and NI taken through PAYE then you shouldn't be. How long have you been living in the US?
Hi

My company pays for an accountancy firm to do my us tax which is classed as tax equilisation as i have already paid UK NI and Tax. I am not classed as a us resident on my latest return due to my days back in the UK prior to working in the US as i only went over in April 2016.

Thanks for the info but I am not needing to know about this process as it's all done for me and i did all my state returns it's just a question about my UK tax as to if i need to declare my marriage.

Now on my next US return i have spent since Jan 4th 2017 here and only been the uk for a week so they may try and class me as a tax resident on this one but still wont affect anything for me as my company pays it. It may differ slightly as i am married now and will have to declare it on my next US return but I still wont have to include her on it as it has nothing to do with her.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Once you are married you can apply for marriage allowance online.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu_blue
..... I still wont have to include her on it as it has nothing to do with her.
In most cases, it is advantageous to file US tax returns jointly with your spouse.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In most cases, it is advantageous to file US tax returns jointly with your spouse.
I wont be including her on this one as my company have pwc doing it so just want them to focus on mine as it's them who are paying the extra us tax and claiming it back through the tax equilisation.

Once I go back to the UK in december for 9 months i will be back to being self employed for 9 months as a contractor working for them and once done i will be over in october to live and work here once i find work then i may include her