Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

marriage questions

marriage questions

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

schmeichel81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question marriage questions

I have been engaged for over two years and I would like to now immigrate to the US where my fiancee is a resident. Does anyone know how long the wait is for a K3 visa if I am from Britain and she is from New Jersey? Also, would it be better for us to marry in the UK as opposed to the US?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

You need a K1 visa if you are just engaged. K3's are for couples already married I think?.

You would file through the Vermont service center, which is currently the fastest for I-129f visa petitions, taking between 30 to 60+ days to receive approval on the petition. From that point, your approval moves onto the national visa center for more checks, which usually takes just a few days and then they pass all the information on the the US embassy in London. London then sends you some forms to fill in and send back, and once they have those forms, they will send you an interview and medical date in London where eventually you will get your K1 visa, good for one entry into the US and you must marry within 90 days of arriving in the country. Total time that you are looking at, considering that you are going through Vermont, probably around 5 months. If you want to live in the US, then getting married in the UK would not be a quicker option.

Thats a rough guide. But check out this forum for more detailed responses on Fiance visa's http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...?s=&forumid=35
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if you are going to be submitting your applications soon, then I'd go to your local police station ASAP to request a copy of your police certificate. It costs £10 and takes around a month to arrive. You will need this at the interview stage.