British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   marriage problem (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/marriage-problem-105796/)

gabbleg Nov 20th 2001 6:16 am

Hi there,

I have recently quit my job and was going to spend some time in the USA with my other half(on a tourist visa)..planning to get another job on my return. But now he is making definate hints about marriage. What I would like to know is...if he 'popped the question' while I am over there would the fact that I had quit my job recently be viewed as 'intent' for us to marry?

Forcefulljack10 Nov 20th 2001 12:24 pm

gabbleg <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Wow! Two people with the exact same issue and the same name,How about that for
coincidence! ;) FJ10.

Steve & Lisa Nov 20th 2001 12:32 pm

I just thought it was an echo. ;o)

Lisa

>
    >
    >

Jadm Nov 20th 2001 12:42 pm

my (now) alien spouse had quit his job and came to the USA to visit, while he was
here we got married, he stayed and we filed to adjust his status...the key here is to
NOT say you quit your job, tho they wont ask..just come visit and get married...but
if INS suspects you are coming to marry...of course you will be turned away..never
say anything* this type of marriage must be *spur of the moment*..as INS calls it
(unplanned).

gabbleg Nov 20th 2001 3:32 pm

Thanks Jadm I'll bear it in mind. Dont they ask you for dates of employment on all the forms when you file for adjustment though?

Rete Nov 20th 2001 3:46 pm

Yes on the G-325 Bio sheet.

Rita

Who doubts there would be a problem

Michael Voight Nov 21st 2001 8:41 am

jadm wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

However, if you are asked about your employment, and you quit your job, say so...
Prior immigration intent is easier to forgive than makign false statements to INS.

Michael

M Nov 22nd 2001 5:24 am

My husband had contracting work so his work was never steady so he always just said
he was coming for vacation holiday whatever....(he never said he was coming to visit
ME either just so you know.) I live near Disney World so he would say he was going to
visit there, which we always did because I hold an AP there :) ) One thing he always
did was carry mortgage papers/car tv license etc. and things to show he had ties to
the UK and it always seemed to help. Also having a round trip ticket with a set date
helps as well. They don't always question you at the POE about employment (Well I
don't know since Sept. how much more detailed everything is) but one thing they did
look at was how many times and how close together his visits were.

Part of your question was about what they will look at AOS, this the second part,
that would be different once you are here, and my husband had his own business but it
was my salary that seemed to be the key as I was his "sponsor" as you know when your
husband fills out the affidavit of support.

Enjoy your stay and good luck if he does pop the question. That will be a nice
holiday for you for sure. :)

M

gabbleg Nov 23rd 2001 11:49 pm

Thanks everybody for all the advice...and especially to 'M' :)