Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Marriage in NYC - share my experience

Marriage in NYC - share my experience

Old Jun 10th 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of
Default Marriage in NYC - share my experience

Hi All

I recently got married in Central Park NYC and just wanted to share the experience in case anyone else is thinking of it. I am UK citizen and my wife is a USC who lives in Uk. We thought NYC would be a nice place to get hitched

1. All the info for it is here http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/ma...ceremony.shtml

2. We turned up at the city hall office on Worth Street at 0815, it opens at 0830, there was a very small line

3. We went in and filled in the online form (you can do this before you go but it only takes 5 mins) you need parents names etc

4. You get allocated a number and go and sit on the sofas and wait

5. 10 mins later we went up, you need your passports as ID (we took birth certs too but you dont need them)

6. 5 mins later we got a licence enables you to get married anywhere in New York state, valid for 60 days I think (check this on web though) you then need to wait 24 hours before the ceremony
You can get married in the building but its not that great and bit like a conveyor belt of people in and out , why not get an officiant and go somewhere more picturesque? An officiant is like $200-$300

7. 2 day later we got married in Central Park by the pond, present was the marriage officiant (found on web before we went) and the photographer ( he was our witness)

8. Signed the forms etc had a fab day ! then the next day went back to city hall and got the actual certificate, you can get it posted but as we were still in town we went and got it ( took about 30 mins in all)

So all in all it was a great day and very easy to arrange, if you are thinking of doing it go for it , we didnt use any companies etc booked it all ourselves and saved a fortune.
As there was only 2 of us we didnt need a licence for Central Park, if there is a larger group of you (I think 20+) then you need to contact them in advance.

If anyone would like any more info please let me know

Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:43 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage in NYC - share my experience

useful info- thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Great info, and congrats!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 12:36 am
Just Joined

FionaC will become famous soon enough

Congratulations - as you say it's such an easy thing to do. My sister came over last year and did the deed at the City Clerk's office, then a couple of weeks ago some friends did the same thing. A guest recorded the "ceremony" - all 1 min 40 seconds of it! Fantastic!!
Old Jun 11th 2010, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tilz
Hi All

I recently got married in Central Park NYC

7. 2 day later we got married in Central Park by the pond, present was the marriage officiant (found on web before we went) and the photographer ( he was our witness)

8. Signed the forms etc had a fab day ! then the next day went back to city hall and got the actual certificate, you can get it posted but as we were still in town we went and got it ( took about 30 mins in all)

I see this nearly every day. Specially as the weather gets better. By the pond, by the fountain, by the corner of the sheep meadow. SOme come just for the photoshoot. Very popular amongst the SEAsians.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I did Brooklyn City Clerks office for my first wedding (followed by the big fat religious ceremony with all the family 6 months later). The "chapel" they have is actually rather nice, colorful glass very simple. The clerk said some nice things and then 30 seconds later we were married. I understand the clerks across the city take their responsibility very seriously it isn't just a rubber stamp job.