Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Marriage to an L1Visa British Expat...Housing Allowance...GreenCard after marriage

Marriage to an L1Visa British Expat...Housing Allowance...GreenCard after marriage

Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Ro_A_05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage to an L1Visa British Expat...Housing Allowance...GreenCard after marriage

Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum and have so many questions regarding my Fiancés L1V and his housing allowance and green card application timing after our marriage. To give you all a run through of our situation here is how things are laid out.

His company transferred him over from the UK on an L1V two years ago his 3 year tenure will be up in August of next year but he will most likely have it extended for the additional 2 years to 2012. He receives a hefty housing allowance with this transfer and this year we just got engaged. My questions are if we get married and change his I-9 status this will allow him access to apply for a green card and or any other type of visa that will keep him here in the US. But if we get married prior to his L-1 being expired which will be in 2012 will he lose his housing allowance based on the fact he got married? Seeing that at that point the company would no longer have to pay for this housing allowance since he could apply for the other type of visa they can deny him this allowance right? We are in no rush to walk away from this cash he receives for being an expat so marriage will come with time if that is the case.

If we do decide to get married in 2012 when his visa will be up, how long does the process take for him to get on another type of visa now that he is married to a USC? At this point will he have to leave the country if his visa is up and he hasn’t received the other visa after marriage?

I have no clue as to how the system works and I apologize in advance for being vague but just want some food for thought for this process.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Ro
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage to an L1Visa British Expat...Housing Allowance...GreenCard after marriag

The housing allowance is between him and his employer, while his immigration status is between him and the government. I realize that in recent years the two have become almost indistinguishable.....but you really have totally separate issues going on here.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage to an L1Visa British Expat...Housing Allowance...GreenCard after marriag

Originally Posted by Ro_A_05 View Post
If we do decide to get married in 2012 when his visa will be up, how long does the process take for him to get on another type of visa now that he is married to a USC?
If he wants to leave the USA and return on another type of visa, as you say here, it depends what visa he qualifies for. I think you are actually asking how long it takes for him to adjust status to permanent resident, without leaving the USA, right? In that case, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year or so, to get his green card in hand...but as soon as you file his AOS paperwork, he's legal to stay in the USA while waiting for the AOS interview. Keep in mind that if you wait until his L visa expires completely, he will be out of status until the AOS is accepted. It would be best to file AOS before the L visa expires.

Rene