Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Marriage on a K1: what would you do???

Marriage on a K1: what would you do???

Old Jun 8th 2002, 6:02 am
Just Joined

TaKa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage on a K1: what would you do???

Hi you all!!!

I have my K1-Visa interview in Frankfurt next Monday and then thinking of flying over to my fiance in the US in the mid of July.
We want to have a churchal wedding and a celebration in a club then, inviting the whole family from Germany.
Now we are a bit insane if we'll get a wedding date within these 90 days period (we're not sure if the club and our referend will be available), and we have now these possibilities:

1. Having just a "civil-wedding" at the court and having a churchal one later. The problem is, that the German family won't be able to come to both of the weddings. And not to bless them, we'd "hide" the civil one from them, just saying that the churchal one would be the real one.
2. Let the 90 days expire and then filling out the I-130.

I don't like both possibilities very much. But what would be the consequences for us at the INS if we chose the second one? Would I have to do a medical examination again? Would I be possible to get work authorization and so on? Whom of you has made experiences concerning all this?

I would appreciate to hear from you.

Greetings from

TaKa
Old Jun 8th 2002, 12:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage on a K1: what would you do???

I'm assuming that your Germany family will be at the religious ceremony and reception at the club although you say you will do this and proceed to use the word "then" when you say inviting the family from Germany.

Since you have the interview date set for Monday, wait until Monday evening when you have your K-1, call the fiancee and have him reserve the reverend and the club for the reception and plan you wedding and party. This will give the out of country guests time to book airline seats at a somewhat reasonable price.

You have 90 days once you enter the US to marry so you are stuck with July as your wedding month. If you entered in July you can have the wedding as late as October.

Rete
Old Jun 9th 2002, 6:20 pm
Jackson Pride

Default Re: Marriage on a K1: what would you do???

What's a "referend"? What do they refer? LOL!!! Oh! I see. He works in a
"churchal" wedding.

No, you cannot get married before you come over on the K-1.

--
Jackson "TaKa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi you all!!!
    >
    > I have my K1-Visa interview in Frankfurt next Monday and then thinking of flying
    > over to my fiance in the US in the mid of July. We want to have a churchal wedding
    > and a celebration in a club then, inviting the whole family from Germany. Now we
    > are a bit insane if we'll get a wedding date within these 90 days period (we're not
    > sure if the club and our referend will be available), and we have now these
    > possibilities:
    >
    > 1. Having just a "civil-wedding" at the court and having a churchal one later. The
    > problem is, that the German family won't be able to come to both of the
    > weddings. And not to bless them, we'd "hide" the civil one from them, just
    > saying that the churchal one would be the real one.
    > 2. Let the 90 days expire and then filling out the I-130.
    >
    > I don't like both possibilities very much. But what would be the consequences for
    > us at the INS if we chose the second one? Would I have to do a medical examination
    > again? Would I be possible to get work authorization and so on? Whom of you has
    > made experiences concerning all this?
    >
    > I would appreciate to hear from you.
    >
    > Greetings from
    >
    > TaKa
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com