Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Marriage with Green Card Holder (Permanent Resident)

Marriage with Green Card Holder (Permanent Resident)

Old Dec 18th 2003, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

ronin1770 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Marriage with Green Card Holder (Permanent Resident)

Hi,

I am a currently a student in USA and about to marry my girlfriend (who is currently have Permanent Residence Status)... i wanna know

1) If i marry her, how long will it take to get Work Permit

2) once i applied for new status (permanent residence) will i be allowed to leave USA and come back as my Student Visa will be cancelled as i applied for new status

waiting for your reply

bye
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage with Green Card Holder (Permanent Resident)

Originally posted by ronin1770
Hi,

I am a currently a student in USA and about to marry my girlfriend (who is currently have Permanent Residence Status)... i wanna know
2) once i applied for new status (permanent residence) will i be allowed to leave USA and come back as my Student Visa will be cancelled as i applied for new status
waiting for your reply
bye
I have a feeling this is not that easy..in your situation but from what I understand a marriage petition may be filed by a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR), however the non-LPR spouse is only able to enter or remain in the US subject to visa quota requirements. and if the LPR got their status through a previous marriage to a US citizen it can get even more complicated..
See an Immigration Laywer to be sure of your position.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 12:36 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Hi,

waiting for your reply

bye
Wrong forum try the marriage visa section.

(By the way your spelling is better but you keep missing out your prepositions which is still a big give away. i suspect you will know what i mean little one.)

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 19th 2003, 1:38 am
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

waiting for your reply

bye
I've got news for you, a green card holder can't marry a non-USC and get them a green card. I'm 90% sure that you are stuck with being a student visa holder until your fiancée has become a USC.

Actually it's more complex than that and you probably need the advice of either somebody who has experience of the situation that you are in, or an immigration attorney.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Pulaski
I've got news for you, a green card holder can't marry a non-USC and get them a green card. I'm 90% sure that you are stuck with being a student visa holder until your fiancée has become a USC.

Actually it's more complex than that and you probably need the advice of either somebody who has experience of the situation that you are in, or an immigration attorney.
Hi,

thanx for such a prompt reply.. i looked around and found out that Green Card Holder can marry a non-USC and get them green card- but process is lengthy.

for people outside US, shortest possible time is about : 4 years
I am not sure how long the process is for people already residing in US on some other non-immigrant status (e.g F1 - in my case)

If i found something else, i wil post it in this thread for the benefit of other. I request you to do same

have HAPPY Holidays
BYe
Old Dec 19th 2003, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pulaski

My Brit friend in Philly did it with her Brit boyfriend who was living here (she was gc holder). As soon as she got her card they married and he got his shortly after.
Old Dec 20th 2003, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by effi
My Brit friend in Philly did it with her Brit boyfriend who was living here (she was gc holder). As soon as she got her card they married and he got his shortly after.
Hi,

i need little bit of clarification here,

1) what do you mean by "Her Card"?
do you mean Her Green Card or Her Citizenship

2) how long did it took him to get Work Permit?
if you marry a citizen, Work Permit is issued in almost 2 months

3) how long did it took him to get his Green Card?
again if you marry a citizen, you get a Green Card in almost 14 months

Your replies will be greatly appreciated

THANX in ADVANCE