Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

marriage for the g.c. lottery winner and divorce in usa

marriage for the g.c. lottery winner and divorce in usa

Old Aug 1st 2002, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Sam2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default marriage for the g.c. lottery winner and divorce in usa

My girlfriend has won green card lottery, her interview is scheduled for September, we're too young (I am 20 and she is 19) and prefere living without wedlock. If we marry before the interviev and after we arrive in USA can we divorce and have both of us independent lives?
Would I have to pay alim. (divorce compensation) ? We just want to live in USA as a girlfriend and boyfriend and not being married, and we want after the "divorce" to retain our greencards independently.
It's all we want, but is it possible? Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: marriage for the g.c. lottery winner and divorce in usa

If you marry before your interview and are granted a green card, then it will be a 2 year conditional green card, after 2 years, if you are still living together as man and wife, you can apply to have the conditions lifted, once this has happened then you can get divorced and stay in the US. If you have already gone through with the marriage, why would you want to divorce andway?
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Sam2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been unlawfully present in USA less than one year but more than 12 months, and voluntary departed a year ago.
I don't know if it could make me ineligible to receive a visa since in my Application information which I received in instructions mail from Department of State it said that such persons are ineligible to receive a visa. My lawyer in USA when I was departing said that I won't have any problems since I had voluntary departure. Now whom should I believe?
Old Aug 11th 2002, 1:04 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 09:20:04 -0700, Sam2003 wrote:

> I have been unlawfully present in USA less than one year but more than 12 months,
    > and voluntary departed a year ago.

Huh? Less than one year but more than 12 months? That's an interesting accomplishment
in itself ;-)

> I don't know if it could make me ineligible to receive a visa since in my
    > Application information which I received in instructions mail from Department of
    > State it said that such persons are ineligible to receive a visa. My lawyer in USA
    > when I was departing said that I won't have any problems since I had voluntary
    > departure. Now whom should I believe?

Believe the lawyer. The information from Department of State are general in nature
and don't cover every single special case. Also, please state the exact wording they
used, rather than paraphrasing it as "such persons". What is it in their wording that
makes you think it applies to you?

Ingo

Old Aug 11th 2002, 1:06 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

On Thu, 01 Aug 2002 18:20:39 -0700, Sam2003 wrote:

> My girlfriend has won green card lottery, her interview is scheduled for September,
    > we're too young (I am 20 and she is 19) and prefere living without wedlock. If we
    > marry before the interviev and after we arrive in USA can we divorce and have both
    > of us independent lives? Would I have to pay alim. (divorce compensation) ? We just
    > want to live in USA as a girlfriend and boyfriend and not being married, and we
    > want after the "divorce" to retain our greencards independently. It's all we want,
    > but is it possible? Thanks.

That would be immigration fraud, and you would both be deported and barred from the
US for life.

But why do you not want to get married anyway? You obviously do want a relationship
with her, marriage means just signing a piece of paper (of course you can also have a
ceremony and a huge party, but that is not required).

Ingo