Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Marriage in Dec in foreign Country

Marriage in Dec in foreign Country

Old Aug 14th 2002, 7:47 pm
Hetal

Default Re: Marriage in Dec in foreign Country

Sorry for the confusion. I don't believe there is anything you can do in advance
except prepare paper work. I have hear that you can apply for I-130 in India at the
Delhi consulate and your spouse would be here in three months and I have also heard
about people who this worked for. Now I really do not have all the information so
you might want to do some research with the Delhi consulate. Now I have heard of
some people who got married in Gujarat and applied like this in Delhi. Again I don't
have all the info so do some research. You have three months to do this and if your
wife can be here in three months then I say it is very well worth your effort. Let
me know what you find out.

watzupdoc <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was just looking up some info....tell me if i got this straight... I get married
    > in dec. immedietely after returning i submit i130 and i129f some notice will be
    > sent to the us consulate in india then my wife applies for the k3 visa.
    > Hetal I was confused as to where in this process i am supposed to do my processing
    > in delhi (or my local consulate) From what I have read the bottleneck in this whole
    > process is the 129f app which has to be sent to an address in chicago..
    > maybe hetal u were thinking of a diff visa? my main concern is should i be doing
    > something now that might speed up the process afterwards? Has anyone looked into
    > direct counsulor filing maybe from malaysia?. thanks for all the help

Old Aug 15th 2002, 5:36 am
Mrtravel

I don't know about India, but in Moscow, the INS guy tossed my birth certificate
aside and asked for my passport. Of course, it would be assumed that a US
visitor to these country should have it in his possession when visiting the Embassy.
In fact, getting into the Embassy would be difficult if you didn't bring it. In
Moscow, it not only got us into the Embassy, it got us both in without waiting in
the long lines outside.

Old Aug 15th 2002, 5:38 am
Mrtravel

watzupdoc wrote:
    > I was just looking up some info....tell me if i got this straight... I get married
    > in dec. immedietely after returning i submit i130 and i129f some notice will be
    > sent to the us consulate in india then my wife applies for the k3 visa.

Not exactly.
1. You file I-130
2. When you get the Notice of Action for the I-130, then you file I-129F
3. When either are approved, the consulate will be notified.

If for some reason I-130 is approved first, then you would skip the K-3 and go for
the CR or IR visa.

> Hetal I was confused as to where in this process i am supposed to do my processing
    > in delhi (or my local consulate) From what I have read the bottleneck in this whole
    > process is the 129f app which has to be sent to an address in chicago..
    > maybe hetal u were thinking of a diff visa? my main concern is should i be doing
    > something now that might speed up the process afterwards? Has anyone looked into
    > direct counsulor filing maybe from malaysia?. thanks for all the help
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 15th 2002, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Kimmini is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if I can clarify or confuse the situation, but I'll give it a shot:

I believe what Hetal was referring to in Delhi is if you do direct consular processing. This means you will be applying for your I-130 there; this is only because there is an INS office in Delhi. I-130 has to first be approved by INS and cannot be approved by any consulate/embassy. However, direct consular filing should only be done if there are no complications in your case, such as previous marriages, etc. This is most probably the quickest way to go after marriage, and she would have her permanent resident status if approved, rather than entering on K3 and having to adjust status.

Otherwise, if you are not yet married, then the next quickest is probably the K-1 fiance visa. This has to be filed over the consulate who is appointed to your district ( you had mentioned Chennai).

I know that Chennai is a tough consulate, seeing my husband just had his K3 interview at the end of July. However, I don't know how it relates to that in Delhi.

In your case, it would seem more time consuming to get married in India and then file for I-130 in the U.S. and then I-129F; so probably your best bet is the fiance visa thru Chennai or get married and try direct consulatar filing in Delhi.

Kim
Old Aug 15th 2002, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

watzupdoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the replies...I guess things are starting to make a little more sense. After reading doc steens page i assumed that there was no DCF in india and was even thinking of trying to take my wife to malaysia after marriage and file there....I guess a little known secret is that the INS office in Delhi does accept I-130 and processes them in about a week or so...
here is the page for that info..
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fi...hi/aboutus.htm

This does look like the best solution. So i guess I will be working on paperwork from now till then. I think my next step will be to contact the delhi office directly and ask for more information..thanks everyone..will keep you informed of the situation....Now the real work begins.....
Old Aug 16th 2002, 8:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kimmini:
However, direct consular filing should only be done if there are no complications in your case, such as previous marriages, etc.
Kim, are you referring to a specific Consulate for the no previous marriages here? Because they should not have an effect on DCF.
Complications usually refers to a criminal background or communicable medical problem.
DCF *is* fastest in a case without one or both of the above issues.
Old Aug 16th 2002, 6:47 pm
Michael Voight

meauxna wrote:
    > Originally posted by Kimmini:
    > > However, direct consular filing should only be done if there are no complications
    > > in your case, such as previous marriages, etc.
    > Kim, are you referring to a specific Consulate for the no previous marriages here?
    > Because they should not have an effect on DCF. Complications usually refers to a
    > criminal background or communicable medical problem. DCF *is* fastest in a case
    > without one or both of the above issues.

It sounds like they are referring to India. We did DCF in Moscow with no problem and
we both had previous marriages.