British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Marriage in Dec in foreign Country (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/marriage-dec-foreign-country-110366/)

watzupdoc Aug 10th 2002 8:48 am

Marriage in Dec in foreign Country

Hi there all, I have looked through the site and think its great how helpful everyone is, but my problem just seems slightly different.

I am a US citizen and my fiance is an indian citizen. We were engaged about a month back and are planning on getting married in Dec. in India since we have family there. I wanted to find out what is the fastest and best way to bring her here and whether I should submit any forms now.

My original idea was to apply for the fiance visa now, get the approval for that before dec. then have the marriage and bring her here and get the marriage registered. now is that illegal? Will we have any trouble since we will be getting married outside of this country?

Otherwise I guess we would have to go for a spouse visa. I just read some on the K-3 but was wondering approx. how long the processing would be and how soon would my fiance be able to come to the US after our marriage?

Thanks for all the help....

Paul Aug 10th 2002 6:45 pm

Re: Marriage in Dec in foreign Country

She wouldn't be your fiancée, she'd be your wife so you would not be able to do a K-1
(fiancée) you must do a K-3. I was told by my lawyer it would be 2 - 4 for this. We
filed in April and I have nothing to show for it. I suggest you do a pseudo wedding
there and do a K-1 visa, and file it now, don't wait anymore.

My two cents

"watzupdoc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    :
    : Hi there all, I have looked through the site and
think its great how
    : helpful everyone is, but my problem just seems
slightly different.
    :
    : I am a US citizen and my fiance is an indian
citizen. We were engaged
    : about a month back and are planning on getting
married in Dec. in
    : India since we have family there. I wanted to
find out what is the
    : fastest and best way to bring her here and
whether I should submit any
    : forms now.
    :
    : My original idea was to apply for the fiance
visa now, get the approval
    : for that before dec. then have the marriage and
bring her here and get
    : the marriage registered. now is that illegal?
Will we have any trouble
    : since we will be getting married outside of this
country?
    :
    : Otherwise I guess we would have to go for a
spouse visa. I just read
    : some on the K-3 but was wondering approx. how
long the processing
    : would be and how soon would my fiance be able to
come to the US after
    : our marriage?
    :
    : Thanks for all the help....
    :
    : --
    : Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    :

Hetal Aug 11th 2002 4:15 am

Well first of all congratulations on your marriage. Hope everything goes well for
you. You can get married and apply here on K3 but we all know how unrliable they
are. There one other way to go which I now wish I knew about when I went to India to
get married then I would not go thought all this stuff. You take your us citizenship
certificate from here and after you get married in India get your marriage license
and you and your wife go to delhi and apply there. She will be here in three months.
I have heard of it and I know of people who it has happned for. Try this if you
would like to and let me know how it all goes. E-mail if possible. I wish I knew
then then my husband would be here by now. Good Luck

watzupdoc <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi there all, I have looked through the site and think its great how helpful
    > everyone is, but my problem just seems slightly different.
    > I am a US citizen and my fiance is an indian citizen. We were engaged about a
    > month back and are planning on getting married in Dec. in India since we have
    > family there. I wanted to find out what is the fastest and best way to bring her
    > here and whether I should submit any forms now.
    > My original idea was to apply for the fiance visa now, get the approval for that
    > before dec. then have the marriage and bring her here and get the marriage
    > registered. now is that illegal? Will we have any trouble since we will be
    > getting married outside of this country?
    > Otherwise I guess we would have to go for a spouse visa. I just read some on the
    > K-3 but was wondering approx. how long the processing would be and how soon would
    > my fiance be able to come to the US after our marriage?
    > Thanks for all the help....

Mrtravel Aug 11th 2002 6:42 am

You can't bring her to the US on a fiance visa if you marry her in India.

If you intend to marry in India, there is NOTHING you can file in advance. After the
marriage, you can file I-130. After you get the first NOA for the I-130, you can file
I-129F for the K-3. The whole process may take 6 months or more. Of course, the
Mumbai consular people are well known for their quirks.. Are you Indian? Not that I
care, but they might.

watzupdoc Aug 11th 2002 2:40 pm

Re: Re: Marriage in Dec in foreign Country

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies...I just wish there was some better news...Hetal you said to apply in delhi...which visa is this? I've been reading all these problems with the K3..how long is it taking for the visas to come through that route? I'm a indian also and since this wedding would be in hyderabad i think the closest embassy is in chennai not mumbai..which might be good i guess.
Thanks again...

Originally posted by Hetal
Well first of all congratulations on your marriage. Hope everything goes well for
you. You can get married and apply here on K3 but we all know how unrliable they
are. There one other way to go which I now wish I knew about when I went to India to
get married then I would not go thought all this stuff. You take your us citizenship
certificate from here and after you get married in India get your marriage license
and you and your wife go to delhi and apply there. She will be here in three months.
I have heard of it and I know of people who it has happned for. Try this if you
would like to and let me know how it all goes. E-mail if possible. I wish I knew
then then my husband would be here by now. Good Luck

> Hi there all, I have looked through the site and think its great how helpful
    > everyone is, but my problem just seems slightly different.
    > I am a US citizen and my fiance is an indian citizen. We were engaged about a
    > month back and are planning on getting married in Dec. in India since we have
    > family there. I wanted to find out what is the fastest and best way to bring her
    > here and whether I should submit any forms now.
    > My original idea was to apply for the fiance visa now, get the approval for that
    > before dec. then have the marriage and bring her here and get the marriage
    > registered. now is that illegal? Will we have any trouble since we will be
    > getting married outside of this country?
    > Otherwise I guess we would have to go for a spouse visa. I just read some on the
    > K-3 but was wondering approx. how long the processing would be and how soon would
    > my fiance be able to come to the US after our marriage?
    > Thanks for all the help....

Hetal Aug 12th 2002 12:16 am

Well I have heard about Delhi taking less time then mumbai but you could try in
chennai. It is the same visa you would apply for here it is the I-130 I believe.
What you would want to take from here for sure is your US citizenship ceritficate.
You will need your marriage license as well as your spouse there. IT will not hurt
to take your passport and probably your birth certifiates as well. Appling in India
takes away the process you have to go through here in America and I believe that is
why it takes soo much less time. Also take some money just incase they ask for it.
I am not sure how much and take one picture of you and your wife. I hope all this
helps you and I hope your wife gets here alot faster. As for the rest of us. We
are at the mercy of the INS and I hope my application goes through soon. Once again
GOOD LUCK.

> Thanks everyone for the prompt replies...I just wish there was some better
    > news...Hetal you said to apply in delhi...which visa is this? I've been reading all
    > these problems with the K3..how long is it taking for the visas to come through
    > that route? I'm a indian also and since this wedding would be in hyderabad i
    > think the closest embassy is in chennai not mumbai..which might be good i guess.
    > Thanks again...
    > Originally posted by Hetal
    > > Well first of all congratulations on your marriage. Hope everything goes well
    > > for you. You can get married and apply here on K3 but we all know how unrliable
    > > they are. There one other way to go which I now wish I knew about when I went to
    > > India to get married then I would not go thought all this stuff. You take your
    > > us citizenship certificate from here and after you get married in India get your
    > > marriage license and you and your wife go to delhi and apply there. She will be
    > > here in three months. I have heard of it and I know of people who it has happned
    > > for. Try this if you would like to and let me know how it all goes. E-mail if
    > > possible. I wish I knew then then my husband would be here by now. Good Luck
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > watzupdoc wrote in message news:...
    > > > Hi there all, I have looked through the site and think its great how helpful
    > > > everyone is, but my problem just seems slightly different. I am a US citizen
    > > > and my fiance is an indian citizen. We were engaged about a month back and are
    > > > planning on getting married in Dec. in India since we have family there. I
    > > > wanted to find out what is the fastest and best way to bring her here and
    > > > whether I should submit any forms now. My original idea was to apply for the
    > > > fiance visa now, get the approval for that before dec. then have the marriage
    > > > and bring her here and get the marriage registered. now is that illegal? Will
    > > > we have any trouble since we will be getting married outside of this country?
    > > > Otherwise I guess we would have to go for a spouse visa. I just read some on
    > > > the K-3 but was wondering approx. how long the processing would be and how soon
    > > > would my fiance be able to come to the US after our marriage? Thanks for all
    > > > the help....

[email protected] Aug 12th 2002 5:30 am

Hetal wrote:
    > Well I have heard about Delhi taking less time then mumbai but you could try in
    > chennai. It is the same visa you would apply for here it is the I-130 I believe.
    > What you would want to take from here for sure is your US citizenship ceritficate.
    > You will need your marriage license as well as your spouse there. IT will not hurt
    > to take your passport and probably your birth certifiates as well.

I think taking his passport with him to India would be a requirement.

meauxna Aug 12th 2002 9:28 am

Originally posted by [email protected]:
Hetal wrote:
    > IT will not hurt to take your passport and probably your birth certifiates as well.

I think taking his passport with him to India would be a requirement.
Clearly.
When I filed my I-130 in Athens, a certified copy of my birth certificate was required *as well as* my passport, even though the website says either/or.

watzupdoc should read the entire DCF section of DocSteen's site to see what papers it would be helpful to bring.

watzupdoc Aug 12th 2002 12:41 pm

Re: Re: Re: Marriage in Dec in foreign Country

Hetal thanks..i was just wondering do you know how much faster it is...What is the approx. time span for that situation.
meauxna..where can i see this docsteens site?...thanks for all the help...

Originally posted by meauxna:

Clearly.
When I filed my I-130 in Athens, a certified copy of my birth certificate was required *as well as* my passport, even though the website says either/or.

watzupdoc should read the entire DCF section of DocSteen's site to see what papers it would be helpful to bring.

meauxna Aug 12th 2002 1:15 pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Marriage in Dec in foreign Country

Originally posted by watzupdoc:
Hetal thanks..i was just wondering do you know how much faster it is...What is the approx. time span for that situation.
meauxna..where can i see this docsteens site?...thanks for all the help...
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/visainfo/visainfo.htm
accept all the disclaimers and have a good browse around!

Hetal Aug 12th 2002 2:39 pm

Well yes I know it is a requirment I meant taking it to the embassy with him.
Wrote it down just in case he forgets to take it because you do not need it to
travel within India. At least I have never needed it and mostly left it home
incase I lost it.

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hetal wrote:
    > >
    > > Well I have heard about Delhi taking less time then mumbai but you could try
    > > in chennai. It is the same visa you would apply for here it is the I-130 I
    > > believe. What you would want to take from here for sure is your US
    > > citizenship ceritficate. You will need your marriage license as well as your
    > > spouse there. IT will not hurt to take your passport and probably your birth
    > > certifiates as well.
    > I think taking his passport with him to India would be a requirement.

Hetal Aug 12th 2002 10:54 pm

I have herad that it takes 3 months. I also know of people who came here in three
months. Of course this is Delhi. If you file in chanai I would say it shoudl take 3
months but give your self about 5 months just in case which is still alot better then
applying from here.

> Hetal thanks..i was just wondering do you know how much faster it
    > is...What is the approx. time span for that situation. meauxna..where can i see
    > this docsteens site?...thanks for all the help... Originally posted by meauxna:
    > >
    > >
    > > Clearly. When I filed my I-130 in Athens, a certified copy of my birth
    > > certificate was required *as well as* my passport, even though the website says
    > > either/or.
    > >
    > watzupdoc should read the entire DCF section of DocSteen's site to see what papers
    > it would be helpful to bring.

Bc Aug 13th 2002 4:16 pm

Hello,

My wife came here on K3 Visa. It took exactly 6 months for the K3 visa, but our case
got delayed because of the up rising in Gujarat and the tensions between Pak and
India, plus we had to go via the Mumbai Consulate. Also it also depends where you got
married. If you got married in Madras then your K3 will go via Chennai Consulate. I
believe it would be illegal if she gets fiance visa and then get married there.

Check out the following web site, it list what regions (state) the consulate serve:

http://usembassy.state.gov/chennai/

Good Luck,

-bc.

> is...What is the approx. time span for that situation. meauxna..where can i see
    > this docsteens site?...thanks for all the help... Originally posted by meauxna:
    > >
    > >
    > > certificate was required *as well as* my passport, even though the website says
    > > either/or.
    > >
    > watzupdoc should read the entire DCF section of DocSteen's site to see what papers

watzupdoc Aug 14th 2002 7:15 am

Sorry but now I am slightly confused. I am not sure which visa Hetal was recommending i apply for in delhi. Most likely my consulate would be in chennai since i will be marrying in hyd. I was wondering for the k3 dont you have to apply from the US or can we apply for this visa through the consulate? How is the chennai consulate..sorry if these questions are basic...thnks for all the help all...

Originally posted by Bc:
Hello,

My wife came here on K3 Visa. It took exactly 6 months for the K3 visa, but our case
got delayed because of the up rising in Gujarat and the tensions between Pak and
India, plus we had to go via the Mumbai Consulate. Also it also depends where you got
married. If you got married in Madras then your K3 will go via Chennai Consulate. I
believe it would be illegal if she gets fiance visa and then get married there.

Check out the following web site, it list what regions (state) the consulate serve:

http://usembassy.state.gov/chennai/

Good Luck,

-bc.

> >
    > >
    > > either/or.
    > >

watzupdoc Aug 14th 2002 8:24 am

Re: Re: Re: Marriage in Dec in foreign Country

I was just looking up some info....tell me if i got this straight...
I get married in dec.
immedietely after returning i submit i130 and i129f
some notice will be sent to the us consulate in india
then my wife applies for the k3 visa.

Hetal I was confused as to where in this process i am supposed to do my processing in delhi (or my local consulate)
From what I have read the bottleneck in this whole process is the 129f app which has to be sent to an address in chicago..

maybe hetal u were thinking of a diff visa? my main concern is should i be doing something now that might speed up the process afterwards? Has anyone looked into direct counsulor filing maybe from malaysia?.
thanks for all the help