British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Maris Piper in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/maris-piper-us-645912/)

vegas Dec 23rd 2009 1:47 pm

Maris Piper in the US

Looking at the recipes for a decent xmas roasty they all seem to recommend Maris Piper. All the Supermarkets seem to have here are Russets. Has anyone found a good replacement.

chartreuse Dec 23rd 2009 2:11 pm

Re: Maris Piper in the US

I've been wondering whether Yukon Golds would work, but have yet to try them.

MsElui Dec 23rd 2009 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8193857)
I've been wondering whether Yukon Golds would work, but have yet to try them.

ive used yukon golds for roasties several times and liked them.

lisag8070 Dec 23rd 2009 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 8193813)
Looking at the recipes for a decent xmas roasty they all seem to recommend Maris Piper. All the Supermarkets seem to have here are Russets. Has anyone found a good replacement.

to be quite honest the Russet potatoes are a great all rounder, great chips, great mash and lovely roasties..you can't go wrong..

Bill_S Dec 23rd 2009 3:05 pm

Ye Gods, you mean there's another entry in the list of "proper English foodstuffs that can't be found in the USA"? There's a special English potato :confused:

chartreuse Dec 23rd 2009 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 8193955)
Ye Gods, you mean there's another entry in the list of "proper English foodstuffs that can't be found in the USA"? There's a special English potato :confused:

Damn right!

Though, technically, I think it might be Irish... :unsure:

robin1234 Dec 23rd 2009 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 8193955)

No, seriously, potatoes are shite over here. So few varieties. And, an awful lot of people seem to have no idea how to store them ... you cut into them and they're full of black patches...

Trixie_b Dec 23rd 2009 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8193979)
Damn right!

Though, technically, I think it might be Irish... :unsure:

technically, potatoes were bought over from the Americas, but your comment made me laugh.....

sambapink Dec 23rd 2009 4:18 pm

I just got the Nigella Lawson 'Christmas' book - and she recommends Yukon Gold potatoes. Parboiled, tossed in semolina and roasted in Goose fat (which I can't get :( )

Philgr Dec 23rd 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 8194050)
roasted in Goose fat (which I can't get :( )

Have all the geese in SoCal had liposuction? There's loads of the buggers flying past NorCal right now - just find a friendly hunter to pick one out for you :-)

Cat Whisperer Dec 23rd 2009 9:18 pm

I like the Yukons better than Russetts because they are much easier to peel. I don't know if we are supplied old stock or something, but its like trying to peel elephant hide. Actually the potato I really miss are 'new' pots. Remember Jersey Royals? mmmm

Bob Dec 23rd 2009 9:36 pm

russets ain't bad if you don't get the massive ones.....yukon work quite well...

chartreuse Dec 23rd 2009 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 8194599)
russets ain't bad if you don't get the massive ones.....yukon work quite well...

The store was out of Yukons, so I took a gamble on some "Sierra Golds" instead.

<OptimusPrime> FFS! They're just potatoes. </OptimusPrime> :D

Bob Dec 23rd 2009 9:53 pm

haha :D

where i used to live in maine, a local store had about 30 different varieties, who knew eh :lol: king edwards were good though and whatever variety the "maine" spud was :D

Bill_S Dec 23rd 2009 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8194612)
The store was out of Yukons, so I took a gamble on some "Sierra Golds" instead.

<OptimusPrime> FFS! They're just potatoes. </OptimusPrime> :D

Yep, I've been waiting for him or Manc :D