British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Marijuana May Ease Foot Pain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/marijuana-may-ease-foot-pain-426255/)

ravenclaw22 Feb 13th 2007 4:24 pm

Marijuana May Ease Foot Pain?

Smoking marijuana eased HIV-related pain in some patients in a small study that nevertheless represented one of the few rigorous attempts to find out if the drug has medicinal benefits.

I got this one from yahoo news.. do you think its really possible? :confused:

Bob Feb 13th 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Marijuana May Ease Foot Pain?

Originally Posted by ravenclaw22 (Post 4398136)

You didn't copy and paste the whole article did you? It'll have to be snipped if you did...and you should also provide a link to the source as well...copyright and all that.

ravenclaw22 Feb 13th 2007 5:15 pm

Sorry for that. Ok here's the link http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070213/...jV_1.WRQHVJRIF

What do you think guys?

Dogbyte Feb 13th 2007 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by ravenclaw22 (Post 4398136)
Smoking marijuana eased HIV-related pain in some patients in a small study that nevertheless represented one of the few rigorous attempts to find out if the drug has medicinal benefits.

Whatever 'they' may say, its a dangerous drug and has been proved as such.It destroys brain tissue and nerve endings and therefore the pain aspect suffered by these people.If it relieves pain, these people under their cicumstances, will naturally say it helps them.The research into it still rates it as dangerous or it would be cultivated legally to help sufferers.Too many people have had adverse effects for it to be deemed safe,and I have seen a lot.

ravenclaw22 Feb 16th 2007 3:25 pm

yeah.. its for drug addicts. but hey, i heard of some uses this thing has.. :confused:

fatbrit Feb 16th 2007 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dogbyte (Post 4398322)
Whatever 'they' may say, its a dangerous drug and has been proved as such.It destroys brain tissue and nerve endings and therefore the pain aspect suffered by these people.If it relieves pain, these people under their cicumstances, will naturally say it helps them.The research into it still rates it as dangerous or it would be cultivated legally to help sufferers.Too many people have had adverse effects for it to be deemed safe,and I have seen a lot.

Crap! Most drugs are dangerous and have nasty side affects. The ones produced by the pharmaceutical companies support the corporations and the ones made or grown at home support the criminal justice system. I see little difference between the two.

Dogbyte Feb 17th 2007 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 4412660)
Crap! Most drugs are dangerous and have nasty side affects. The ones produced by the pharmaceutical companies support the corporations and the ones made or grown at home support the criminal justice system. I see little difference between the two.

Why are the comments made by myself,in your words 'Crap'.ALL drugs are dangerous,some with nasty side effects.(one, might work for one person, but not for another) it just depends on how they are manufactored, or in what circumstances they are used and by whom.I believe the O.P suggested that we were only expressing an opinion on Cannabis or was I looking at the thread incorrectly ?

Haggerwood Feb 17th 2007 3:44 pm

About 8 years ago I saw a piece on Panaorama which suggested that occasional smoking of marijuana could cause lung cancer. The study seemed to indicate that a year or two of pot smoking was comparable to a lifetime of smoking cigarettes. The porblem with such studies is there is little concrete eveidence to go on since it is illegal. However if someone is terminally ill anyway I don't see the harm in them having a toke to ease their pain. On the other hadnif we use it for foot pain it could cause havoc with the football league every Saturday !

fatbrit Feb 17th 2007 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dogbyte (Post 4416007)
Why are the comments made by myself,in your words 'Crap'.

Your assumption that a drug such a marijuana could be considered purely on its merits by free market mechanisms, i.e. "The research into it still rates it as dangerous or it would be cultivated legally to help sufferers."

The crap is that there is no free market here but rather two very powerful lobbies. Whatever marijuana's virtues, these groups will always minimize them.

Sarah Feb 17th 2007 6:50 pm

My Uncle used marijuana a lot during his last months alive. He died of stomach cancer which had spread throughout his entire body. He also sipped morphine from a flask - this was prescribed, the marijuana was not, both were used purely as pain relievers.

Pure forms of heroin and morphine are used as painkillers in British hospitals why is that acceptable and not marijuana? Let someone riddled with cancer smoke some bleedin marijuana if it gives them 5 minutes of respite from the pain.

cabritpop Feb 17th 2007 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dogbyte (Post 4416007)
Why are the comments made by myself,in your words 'Crap'.ALL drugs are dangerous,some with nasty side effects.(one, might work for one person, but not for another) it just depends on how they are manufactored, or in what circumstances they are used and by whom.I believe the O.P suggested that we were only expressing an opinion on Cannabis or was I looking at the thread incorrectly ?

Stop listening to the crap they program your mind with at some coppers seminar. :thumbup:

TouristTrap Feb 17th 2007 8:35 pm

Marijuana laws are big business in the US. They keep our prisons overflowing with low-paid labor.

How ridiculous is this. I purchase hemp nut seeds at the healthfood store, which have to be imported from Canada as it is illegal to grow hemp here.

Dogbyte Feb 17th 2007 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop (Post 4416517)
Stop listening to the crap they program your mind with at some coppers seminar. :thumbup:

I wont rise to the intended 'bait'.You are perfectly entitled to your beliefs.

gruffbrown Feb 17th 2007 10:50 pm

Is Marijuana still prescribed for MS?

Wildandcrazy0525 Feb 17th 2007 11:07 pm

marijuana is great for.... err I forget :)