Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

March Madness...

March Madness...

Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default March Madness...

Anyone sick of it yet? Just beginning and it's getting on my nerves, everything on tele is either not on, or repeats, what's the point of that?
The Lost has been repeats for weeks now....though on the other hand, Jake In Progress was pretty funny....
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: March Madness...

Originally Posted by Bob
Anyone sick of it yet? Just beginning and it's getting on my nerves, everything on tele is either not on, or repeats, what's the point of that?
The Lost has been repeats for weeks now....though on the other hand, Jake In Progress was pretty funny....
Since I live in one of the cities that has a team in the March Madness tournament, I've already had enough of the basketball. I do not follow basketball and coworkers are talking about Duke and the other local team will do.

I shall be planning outdoor activities (shopping, etc.) at times when the games are being played because I know that most of the local population will be glued to their sets (at home, in bars).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can't get away from it, it's all UConn crazy as there the best "local" team...how sad...but then there's all the other teams and such, scary...
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, get use to it. March Madness is one of the most popular sporting events all year here, because just like when we back home all had an office pool on the Grand National, they have the "Brackets" to fill and talk over the water cooler. Thats why the big broadcasting networks change their schedules to re-runs and re-cap shows, because even the Apprentice would get slaughtered in the ratings.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:53 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Make it stop! (Is it over yet?)
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It's still utter shite....all those channels, yet they all pander to the shite and stick on repeats, it's just really annoying...and it's not as if everyone is all that interested in college sports...
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - I find the love of college sports one of the hardest things about US life to understand. It's a huge money making machine for the colleges, the atheletes in the "elite" programs are usually not really there to study - just to showcase themselves for the Pro leagues - and yet large portions of the population are fanatical about it (just look at the huge amounts of money raised by boosters etc). Most American traditions I can understand even if I don't agree/celebrate them myslef but I've not been able to figure this one out. Can anyone offer some insight?
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:41 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
Most American traditions I can understand even if I don't agree/celebrate them myslef but I've not been able to figure this one out. Can anyone offer some insight?
You understand why everyone celebrates St Patricks day then?
Old Mar 18th 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's still utter shite....all those channels, yet they all pander to the shite and stick on repeats, it's just really annoying...and it's not as if everyone is all that interested in college sports...
Bob, I don't understand why they don't change it just for little old you. Yes, College sports is that big here. And no major network is going to put up a show that usually brings in the ratings, only to watch it get killed next to a big event like this on another channel There is too much money involved with the production of shows and advertising revenue to risk that. I hate basketball to, but I'm not freaking ignorant enough to bitch and moan about it over and over again like you do. Do you just have ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX on your TV?. because there are plenty of other channels to keep you happy if not.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:06 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Bob, I don't understand why they don't change it just for little old you. Yes, College sports is that big here. And no major network is going to put up a show that usually brings in the ratings, only to watch it get killed next to a big event like this on another channel There is too much money involved with the production of shows and advertising revenue to risk that. I hate basketball to, but I'm not freaking ignorant enough to bitch and moan about it over and over again like you do. Do you just have ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX on your TV?. because there are plenty of other channels to keep you happy if not.
Someone having a bad day? Maybe the pool's leaking.......
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I know there's big money involved, but, college sport isn't the be all and breaker of a channel, there must be enough people that'll watch something decent, but if there isn't an alternative to repeats, I'll just not bother watch anything myself, and that's wasted advertising potential.

And on basic cable, all month, it's either nothing, or repeats, and there's nothing more annoying than getting repeats in a middle of a tv series....and it's not as if college ball is being played all day long either, and there's enough channels showing highlights, replays of games, just a bit pants ain't it.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
You understand why everyone celebrates St Patricks day then?
Of course - everyone likes another excuse for a drink!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Just look at this way. If there's things you want to do in places that are normally very busy, go when the games are being played. I intend on doing this when Duke is playing.

My workplace is dead quiet today. Partly due to spring break plus I think there's a Duke game on now/today.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Just look at this way. If there's things you want to do in places that are normally very busy, go when the games are being played. I intend on doing this when Duke is playing.
wouldn't be a bad idea, but bugger all happens in maine, no one really seems to care over here as much as other states that have colleges that seriously contend...
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:15 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
Of course - everyone likes another excuse for a drink!
Well I'm glad us Brits don't need any excuses for a good piss up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.