British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Many foreigners no longer require a learner's permit in Virginia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/many-foreigners-no-longer-require-learners-permit-virginia-318077/)

Just Jenney Aug 4th 2005 3:10 pm

Many foreigners no longer require a learner's permit in Virginia

I was at the Virginia DMV website today to renew my car registration, and I decided to click on the link, "New Laws Effective July 1, 2005." There I found the following:

Foreign Licenses
The learner's permit or driver education requirements may be waived for new Virginia residents at least age 19 coming from a foreign country, if they hold a valid driver's license from that country. The applicant must successfully complete the knowledge and skills tests before obtaining a Virginia license.

I'm glad they did away with that learner's permit requirement, because it was pretty silly, if you'd ask me.

Last year, after already having held a valid UK license for 13 years, Mark had to hold a 30-day learner's permit before he was eligible to take the Virginia driving skills test. That meant that during that period he could drive but only if he had a licensed "chaperone" in the car with him! Believe me, his driving skills did not change one iota during that 30-day period. It was really a big waste of time, having to make two trips to the DMV, fill out forms twice, take the knowledge exam twice, etc.

The legal presence requirements have not changed, but at least this drops an unnecessary step for a foreigner trying to get a Virginia's drivers license.

~ Jenney

krizzy Aug 4th 2005 4:50 pm

Re: Many foreigners no longer require a learner's permit in Virginia

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I was at the Virginia DMV website today to renew my car registration, and I decided to click on the link, "New Laws Effective July 1, 2005." There I found the following:

Foreign Licenses
The learner's permit or driver education requirements may be waived for new Virginia residents at least age 19 coming from a foreign country, if they hold a valid driver's license from that country. The applicant must successfully complete the knowledge and skills tests before obtaining a Virginia license.

I'm glad they did away with that learner's permit requirement, because it was pretty silly, if you'd ask me.

Last year, after already having held a valid UK license for 13 years, Mark had to hold a 30-day learner's permit before he was eligible to take the Virginia driving skills test. That meant that during that period he could drive but only if he had a licensed "chaperone" in the car with him! Believe me, his driving skills did not change one iota during that 30-day period. It was really a big waste of time, having to make two trips to the DMV, fill out forms twice, take the knowledge exam twice, etc.

The legal presence requirements have not changed, but at least this drops an unnecessary step for a foreigner trying to get a Virginia's drivers license.

~ Jenney

I just drove on my Brit licence for the year that I could in MA....then got my US one.....it does seem silly to have a learners permit......but then again they could be worried you'll drive on the wrong side of the road......

Bob Aug 4th 2005 5:10 pm

That's really silly...glad they've changed it :)

Though what's silly, in maine, if under 23, have to have a learners permit for 6 months before being allowed to take the test...but they do allow you if you've had a valid license for over 3 years to drive on the permit on your own.... *l*

britvic Aug 4th 2005 8:41 pm

I was over the moon when I found out I did not have to retake my test over here after 17 year's of driveing. Military foren born spouse's excused :)

MiniBrit Aug 4th 2005 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by krizzy
I just drove on my Brit licence for the year that I could in MA....then got my US one.....it does seem silly to have a learners permit......but then again they could be worried you'll drive on the wrong side of the road......

Hi Krizzy,

did you manage to get insurance driving on that? If so, who with? I just want to drive on my UK license but my hubbies current insurance wont cover me on a UK license to drive his car. I really dont want to have to take the stupid test, just want to get my own car when I start working and drive on my UK license.. lazy I guess :o

Bob Aug 4th 2005 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
did you manage to get insurance driving on that? If so, who with? I just want to drive on my UK license but my hubbies current insurance wont cover me on a UK license to drive his car. I really dont want to have to take the stupid test, just want to get my own car when I start working and drive on my UK license.. lazy I guess :o

you'll have to take the test soon enough, most states require it if your a resident of the state to take test or apply to take it at least within 30 days, cali is 10 days, some others are longer, like maine, 12 months...and it'll reduce the insurance a fair bit...

krizzy Aug 4th 2005 9:17 pm

Hi Krizzy,

Yes we did...and at the time they give us the full discount by taking into acount our no claims in the UK......which I don't think they do anymore.....its Safety Insurance....the company is in Boston......

krizzy Aug 4th 2005 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
you'll have to take the test soon enough, most states require it if your a resident of the state to take test or apply to take it at least within 30 days, cali is 10 days, some others are longer, like maine, 12 months...and it'll reduce the insurance a fair bit...

Our Ins company said we had 2 years to take the test...but I believe they are wrong....and its a year in MA.......

Bob Aug 4th 2005 11:10 pm

Our Ins company said we had 2 years to take the test...but I believe they are wrong....and its a year in MA.......

aye, insurnance people are wrong...but MA has there own insurance laws...all crazy drivers there anyway *l*

krizzy Aug 4th 2005 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, insurnance people are wrong...but MA has there own insurance laws...all crazy drivers there anyway *l*

We drive OK....its the holiday makers who are crazy......... :p :p

In MA if a company does not sell all kinds of Ins....they can't sell any.......so they can't pull out of selling home Ins and still sell you car Ins......or thats what I was told.......

MiniBrit Aug 5th 2005 1:15 pm

Yes we did...and at the time they give us the full discount by taking into acount our no claims in the UK......which I don't think they do anymore.....its Safety Insurance....the company is in Boston......

I'll check 'em out, see what they say. thanks a lot!

MiniBrit Aug 5th 2005 4:38 pm

Heh, would you believe it I just phoned AAA (hubbies insurers) but I spoke to them in MA and not CA where his policy currently is. They said no problem driving on UK license I just have to give them a copy of my license and prove Ive not had any accidents. So, all we really have to do is move his policy from Ca to Ma, easy as that.... I keep forgetting that different states have completely different rules/requirements even within the same company.... :rolleyes:

fatbrit Aug 5th 2005 4:47 pm

They said no problem driving on UK license I just have to give them a copy of my license and prove Ive not had any accidents..

You're procrastinating! Take the test and get the license! It's your "photo ID" and will save you endless problems down the road.

krizzy Aug 5th 2005 4:51 pm

Heh, would you believe it I just phoned AAA (hubbies insurers) but I spoke to them in MA and not CA where his policy currently is. They said no problem driving on UK license I just have to give them a copy of my license and prove Ive not had any accidents. So, all we really have to do is move his policy from Ca to Ma, easy as that.... I keep forgetting that different states have completely different rules/requirements even within the same company.... :rolleyes:

The test is very easy in MA....but then again the State trooper did say its easier to pass someone who has been driving on their Brit license without an accident for a year....his only interest was that I drove on the right side of the road......

MiniBrit Aug 5th 2005 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You're procrastinating! .

yeah, you're right. :o and I will... now at least I can drive the car to drop hubby off at work then go to the RMV to apply for the test! They aren't open on Saturdays and he drives to work Monday - Friday, so without him taking a day off work I wouldn't be able to get there, ironically. :p