British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Manhattan vs Queens (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/manhattan-vs-queens-483246/)

zamboooka Sep 24th 2007 7:05 pm

Manhattan vs Queens

Hola people,
Just a quick question (totally outta boredom). Is Queens a good place to live in? If so, which area in Queens?

zamboooka Sep 24th 2007 7:12 pm

Re: Manhattan vs Queens

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 5349880)
Hola people,
Just a quick question (totally outta boredom). Is Queens a good place to live in? If so, which area in Queens?

8 views and no replies makes tom.. errr sorry..makes this thread a really dull one...!!

lapin_windstar Sep 24th 2007 8:56 pm

Well - what for you makes a good place to live? Do you want an amazingly wide and cheap range of national cuisines, urban/suburban lifestyle with a front and back garden, good access to Midtown, the ability to walk around with a deep orange fake tan unmolested and speak with an accent like a duck being assaulted with a klaxon? Then you'll like Queens!

Do you want easy access to your downtown office, chichi doorman buildings, instant delivery of anything, the right to pay $3000 a month for a 1.5 bedroom apartment and the constant sound of honking horns? Then you'll like Manhattan!

Englishmum Sep 25th 2007 12:35 am

JFK airport is in the borough of Queens.

Anywhere around there seems either to be ugly or appears to be a bit like a dump to me. However, I don't see the appeal of it myself but perhaps it's because I haven't seen much of it and I daresay there could be some nice places there.

I would prefer to choose Manhatten for sure and second to that, Hoboken NJ, just across the Hudson River. Lots of young expat Brits live in Hoboken and it's a charming yet lively town.

Why do you ask? :blink:

Ray Sep 25th 2007 2:25 am

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 5349910)
8 views and no replies makes tom.. errr sorry..makes this thread a really dull one...!!

Sever minutes later you whine ...
People ...be ready for the mans next question ..sheesh

fatbrit Sep 25th 2007 2:27 am

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 5349910)

Scottsdale or Glendale and I can make a call for you. The US is a big place, you know. And us Brits are not all stuck in a ghetto unless you count the King's Head.

Patrick Hasler Sep 25th 2007 9:19 am

Anywhere in the NYC area is shitty ! ... It all depends on if you want to live in an expensive shitty area or a cheaper shitty area ?
I see alot of NYC and havn't seen anywhere I would actually want to live ?
Try a little bit north and comute .... Tarrytown maybe !
:):):)

penguinsix Sep 25th 2007 11:14 am

I've actually lived in both, in Forest Hills/Rego Park area of Queens and then in Midtown. While it was cheaper out in Queens and definitely a different feel, we found ourselves doing so much in Manhattan that every day was a long subway ride just to go to dinner with friends or to get to the office. In the end, we just moved into Manhattan (six blocks from the office) and walked to work. While it cost more for less, we had more fun.

Depends on where you end up in Queens and what you want to do / where you work really.

lapin_windstar Sep 25th 2007 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5352033)
Depends on where you end up in Queens and what you want to do / where you work really.

Exactly - people come on here and say, "where's the best place for me to live?" but don't say what they're interested in. Give us something to work with! Are you a braying 20 year old City boy with an expense account who's interested in bottles and models, or are you a mousy soccer mom with six kids and a minivan?

Ridski Sep 25th 2007 3:54 pm

Assuming Zamboooka is a 20 year old party animal...

Well, it's like asking if you should live in Central London or Barnet. Both Queens and Manhattan have their less salubrious neighborhoods, but I can recommend an area of Queens I lived in called Sunnyside, which is only a few subway stops to Manhattan, and has a large Irish population which are pretty friendly to the Brits. So you've got a lot of local shops that sell British foods and goodies, pubs that serve a great bangers and mash, and tons of places with really good Guinness, etc. I had a blast living there, and it wasn't too expensive (I paid $1400/month for a roomy two bedroom apartment). The only drawback is that no one will go there. If you make friends, expect to hear excuses when you throw a party.

Living in Manhattan is a whole different ball game, depending on where you are. Downtown is fun, but most of the apartments are older and pretty small. I work with someone who is practically living in a box, studio apartment with a bed and a chair and a stove, but no counter space. But hey, you live in Manhattan, so you just go out to eat all the time. :thumbsup:

zamboooka Sep 25th 2007 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 5350675)
JFK airport is in the borough of Queens.

Anywhere around there seems either to be ugly or appears to be a bit like a dump to me. However, I don't see the appeal of it myself but perhaps it's because I haven't seen much of it and I daresay there could be some nice places there.

I would prefer to choose Manhatten for sure and second to that, Hoboken NJ, just across the Hudson River. Lots of young expat Brits live in Hoboken and it's a charming yet lively town.

Why do you ask? :blink:

Asked outta boredom... live in Chelsea village and am pretty happy with the place.. just wondered how the suburban life would be like.. sorry i guess.. seemed like i ticked one fellow off atleast!!! oh well...

Rete Sep 25th 2007 9:38 pm

What a droll. You live in Manhattan, go ask your fellow co-workers or the next pickup. Queens is a heavy populated area. Twit.