Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Manhattan advice

Manhattan advice

Old Sep 17th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manhattan advice

Hey, we recently moved to NYC.

Decided against living right in Manhattan for first year. You'll see why when you see the sizes of places central, for the $ 😉

If I can be of any help please let me know. Definitely check out Brooklyn, still very cummuteable yet is also a really nice in its own right.

Lots and lots of choices, half the battle...

Where abouts in mid-town, I work there too at the moment.

I'm no expert but if you want to be in Manhattan upper east and west are popular for schools and families, note the new Q line opens up more of upper east to easy commute to midtown too.

Last edited by LouisB; Sep 17th 2017 at 1:39 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Manhattan2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LouisB
Hey, we recently moved to NYC.

Decided against living right in Manhattan for first year. You'll see why when you see the sizes of places central, for the $ 😉

If I can be of any help please let me know. Definitely check out Brooklyn, still very cummuteable yet is also a really nice in its own right.

Lots and lots of choices, half the battle...

Where abouts in mid-town, I work there too at the moment.

I'm no expert but if you want to be in Manhattan upper east and west are popular for schools and families, note the new Q line opens up more of upper east to easy commute to midtown too.

Spent the afternoon in Upper East and that could work - space is ok for the money...but need to work out schooling!

Our office at the moment is on West 34th so Herald St is nearest. Will most likely move a little further south early next year.

Have also looked in Brooklyn (Park Slope, Fort Greene etc) and it's really nice round there....35min commute is still less than half what I have now I guess!

Cheers
Old Sep 17th 2017, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manhattan2017
Spent the afternoon in Upper East and that could work - space is ok for the money...but need to work out schooling!

Our office at the moment is on West 34th so Herald St is nearest. Will most likely move a little further south early next year.

Have also looked in Brooklyn (Park Slope, Fort Greene etc) and it's really nice round there....35min commute is still less than half what I have now I guess!

Cheers
Ok pretty central midtown, I'm a little further up but commute from Brooklyn, about 30mins approx when I'm in the office.

Brooklyn is of course huge, Brooklyn heights is nice, that's somewhere we'd think about considering if we look down that way on next move.

Lots of choice, can make it harder. Some bits of upper east do look affordable, transport links up and down Manhattan are pretty good so it's all quite possible.

Everyone will have favourites I'm sure, I'm less inclined by the busy tourist parts but do like some of the older historical areas, which seems to draw me out of Manhattan towards Brooklyn. What is nice is a some areas do have a sort of town/village comuntiry thing and are very diverse culturally, I like that. It's vibrant

Good luck!

Last edited by LouisB; Sep 17th 2017 at 11:56 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manhattan2017

Cheers
You should visit Roosevelt Island. Technically, it's still Manhattan (212 area code and zip code), but it's a world apart. Lots of green and river views, brand new apartments, family friendly. The F train station is on the island and it stops at 34th / Herald Square (probably about 20minutes).

We lived on the island for 4 years before moving out of state. You get the convenience of city living, but with peace and quiet.