Manchester Airport to New York

Wikiposts

Manchester Airport to New York

Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

sta123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manchester Airport to New York

Hi guys

Bit of advice on airlines (and accomodation required).

Looking at going to NY in middle Jan 2012 for 4-5 days. Can you advise me on airlines from Manchester Airport? I have checked BA.com which is around the £550 return ish. Any others to check out?

I am looking at staying somewhere where I am pretty much able to walk out of the hotel and be in a popular place for the usual city stuff of shops, restaurants etc. Which hotels do you advise me to look at? I know a person who lives in East Elmhurst so maybe on the side which is nearer to getting there also.

So I could be tempted to rent a car? Or as it will only be a 4 day visit, is it worth just using public transport in such a place? As in NY bit like London where public transport is the way to do it?

Some pointers to get my research going would be great thanks.

Last edited by sta123; Nov 20th 2011 at 4:41 am.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:48 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Manchester Airport to New York

Originally Posted by sta123
Hi guys

Bit of advice on airlines (and accomodation required).

Looking at going to NY in middle Jan 2012 for 4-5 days. Can you advise me on airlines from Manchester Airport? I have checked BA.com which is around the £550 return ish. Any others to check out?

I am looking at staying somewhere where I am pretty much able to walk out of the hotel and be in a popular place for the usual city stuff of shops, restaurants etc. Which hotels do you advise me to look at? I know a person who lives in East Elmhurst so maybe on the side which is nearer to getting there also.

So I could be tempted to rent a car? Or as it will only be a 4 day visit, is it worth just using public transport in such a place? As in NY bit like London where public transport is the way to do it?

Some pointers to get my research going would be great thanks.
You don't have to fly to JFK - the other main New York international airport is actually Newark, New Jersey. It's a smaller airport and it's a quick trip to Manhatten.

There is a daily flight with Continental Airlines from MAN to EWR (Newark) which leaves MAN at 9am and arrives at Newark at 12 noon.

Check out http://www.continental.co.uk

Hotels? Thousands of them!

Look at the Applecore website.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:02 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester Airport to New York

Hi guys

No, you do not need to rent a car in NYC. Public transportation and taxis are all you will need.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:09 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
No, you do not need to rent a car in NYC. Public transportation and taxis are all you will need.
I think a car would be a hiderance within New York, slower travel times, plus the problem of finding and paying for parking.
As a tourist I also did a lot of walking in New York.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

American fly MAN-JFK too, codesharing with BA. I'll be flying that segment in a month or so on a BA ticket but it's going to be an AA flight.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's the budget for the hotel?

kayak.com for flights.

zipcar if you need a car to get out of the city, but other wise, would think sticking to public transport would be the sensible and cheaper option.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys

Budget for hotel is around the £50 to £70 quid a night equivalent I guess.

Or do I need to up the budget for something decent around the central parts of NY?
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:04 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Or do I need to up the budget for something decent around the central parts of NY?
Take care, as there are a lot of unbelievable shit holes in that price bracket.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:05 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

I don't thiink you will get anything habitable at that price in the center of NY
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably, yes, although mid January isn't exactly peak tourist season.

btw you do realize that it will be cold in NY in January - expect temperatures below freezing at night and not much above during the day with the possibility that it might be even colder - bad weather including snow storms are a risk factor for disrupting transportation.

So, personally, I would avoid NY in January but, if it the only time that you can go make sure to take plenty of warm clothes with you.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Check Hotels.com for good rates.

As an example, I got the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago, during the Chicago Air & Water Show, this past August, for $140, including Breakfast Buffet for my wife and I. Breakfast in a Chicago Hotel, normally goes for around $30 per person.

The Park Central, at 55th Street and 7th is normally a decent/handy place to stay.

Jim.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:43 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Manchester Airport to New York

Originally Posted by md95065
Probably, yes, although mid January isn't exactly peak tourist season.

btw you do realize that it will be cold in NY in January - expect temperatures below freezing at night and not much above during the day with the possibility that it might be even colder - bad weather including snow storms are a risk factor for disrupting transportation.

So, personally, I would avoid NY in January but, if it the only time that you can go make sure to take plenty of warm clothes with you.
Absolutely. Although I live only 40 mins from Manhatten I was able to stay in an apartment opposite Carnegie Hall last January as my friend was unable to use all of his timeshare week.

The weather was like Siberia - bitterly cold and the wind was blasting around the corners of the buildings. There was a lot of slush on the streets.

OTOH as it is a slow time for tourists I was able to get a free standby ticket to see the recording of the David Letterman show. If I'd got my act together I could have gone to recordings of Jon Stewart's "Daily Show", "The Colbert Report" or "Dr. Oz" (twice daily).

I got a half-price front row seat for a wonderful matinee performance of "Jersey Boys" the TKTS store at South St Seaport and also got a cheap last minute ticket for a performance at Carnegie Hall. All the latest info on 'what's on' can be found in the Time Out magazine and more limited info on their website:

http://newyork.timeout.com/

NYC isn't a place to go if one is on a really tight budget TBH to get the best experience of being in the 'Big Apple' and in January you will surely want to mainly stay indoors (unless you plan to go running in Central Park).

You could look at the Laterooms website or Lastminute.com (their US site) for cheaper rooms within 14 days of arrival, or try "Holiday Inn Express" as there are a few of them in NYC, as well as the "Pod Hotel" and Applecore hotels:

http://www.laterooms.com/?cc=US

http://www.lastminute.com

http://www.ic-hotels.com (Holiday Inn Express)

http://www.thepodhotel.com

http://www.applecorehotels.com
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:08 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Check http://www.skyscanner.net/ for flights. Bear in mind that COs direct MAN-EWR flight is on a Boeing 757 and these aircraft aren't the most comfortable for transatlantic flights. You might feel it's better to go for another carrier if they operate 747/767/777 or widebody Airbus aircraft.

For hotels: http://www.travelzoo.com/uk/hotels/
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

No problem with the cold weather. I was in North York (just outside Toronto) in Dec last year and back again in March this year when the snow and cold weather came back. LOL

I don't mind upping my budget for hotel by a little as it is only for 4 nights ish.

So if you have any hotels that I can start clicking on to their website to check out prices, please post them for me :sunglasses:
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:24 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind upping my budget for hotel by a little as it is only for 4 nights ish.

So if you have any hotels that I can start clicking on to their website to check out prices, please post them for me :sunglasses:
http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/gb/e...heckOutDate=17

$124 a night in mid-January which is equivalent to £78 per night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.