British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Manchester Airport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/manchester-airport-907632/)

Adnams Jan 7th 2018 4:16 pm

Manchester Airport

Has anyone recently been through Manchester airport traveling with children and adults on US passports? Im trying to figure out if the immigration lines are going to be long and take a lot of time.
This is the first year that we will be traveling on US passports and not our Brit ones so I have no prior experience of going through UK immigration as a USC.
Thanks

mikelincs Jan 7th 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Manchester Airport

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 12413110)
Has anyone recently been through Manchester airport traveling with children and adults on US passports? Im trying to figure out if the immigration lines are going to be long and take a lot of time.
This is the first year that we will be traveling on US passports and not our Brit ones so I have no prior experience of going through UK immigration as a USC.
Thanks

Why not get Brit passports, then the problem disappears.

Nutmegger Jan 7th 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks

Haven't been back in a long time, but the one occasion I used my US rather than UK passport, I was through in a flash, as the longer lines were those for returning Brits.

tom169 Jan 7th 2018 4:31 pm

Manchester is slow for everyone.

lansbury Jan 7th 2018 4:33 pm

I go through Manchester regularly and use my US passport. Normally I find the line very short.

lansbury Jan 7th 2018 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12413123)

Not my experience I have always found it very quick.

durham_lad Jan 7th 2018 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12413123)

I came through in September and it was extremely quick, UK passport, no lines at the automated machines which were extremely easy to use.

tom169 Jan 7th 2018 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12413157)
I came through in September and it was extremely quick, UK passport, no lines at the automated machines which were extremely easy to use.

I haven't cleared immigration at Manchester since automated machines, so that may be why I remember it being slow.

md95065 Jan 7th 2018 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12413162)
I haven't cleared immigration at Manchester since automated machines, so that may be why I remember it being slow.

My distinct impression when coming through Heathrow was that both the intention and actual effect of introducing the automated machines was to reduce the number of staff needed not to make things go faster.

lansbury Jan 7th 2018 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12413157)

Glad you posted that, one of the reasons I use my US passport is to avoid the machines. While the flight leaves PDX at 1.25pm it is overnight to AMS and then the KLM bus to Manchester. By that time I never figured my brain was awake enough to work out how to use the machines.

durham_lad Jan 7th 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 12413168)
My distinct impression when coming through Heathrow was that both the intention and actual effect of introducing the automated machines was to reduce the number of staff needed not to make things go faster.

My daughter and her partner came through Heathrow in December. She said that she breezed through while her partner took forever on his US passport

durham_lad Jan 7th 2018 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12413196)
Glad you posted that, one of the reasons I use my US passport is to avoid the machines. While the flight leaves PDX at 1.25pm it is overnight to AMS and then the KLM bus to Manchester. By that time I never figured my brain was awake enough to work out how to use the machines.

Easiest system ever, slide in your passport, look at the camera then walk through the gate, no finger print recognition, no bit of paper to take and hand into an immigration officer afterwards.

AdobePinon Jan 7th 2018 9:27 pm

This is the first year that we had will be traveling on US passports and not our Brit ones so I have no prior experience of going through UK immigration as a USC.
Thanks

They may ask a lot of pesky questions, but it’s up to you which citizenship you want to travel on.

RICH Jan 7th 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks

I did Orlando to Manchester last year. I recall a long wait. I was on US pp, but no kids. I don't think that makes a difference.
It was the day before the arena bomb. The security line when leaving 2 weeks later was long/slow.

uk_grenada Jan 7th 2018 11:23 pm

Boring me now,,,