Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Man of My Dreams or Green Card Con?

Man of My Dreams or Green Card Con?

Old Aug 13th 2005, 12:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Man of My Dreams or Green Card Con?

Originally Posted by bluesky
Hello,
Now, he is saying that we should stay here, save money to buy a house in his country, we'll get married and he'll be able to get funding for a PhD in the US now that he'll be a US citizen.

He is intelligent, caring, attentive, funny, compassionate. He's helped me do laundry, has cooked beautiful dinners for me. I've known him for 3 weeks.

How can I level headedly figure out if this is the man of my dreams or if I am a means for him to get a PhD and have a career in the US.

Would really welcome any advice
Thank you

You marry him and he does not become a US Citizen right away. First you will have for his adjustment of status which can take years depending on here you live. Then he can file for US naturalization after he has been a PR for 2 years and 9 months.

Trust you gut ... not your emotions or sexual attraction ... they lie.
Old Aug 13th 2005, 12:35 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Man of My Dreams or Green Card Con?

Originally Posted by agostinism
There is green card fraud and marriage fraud too. As I understand a marriage starts with a relationship, and relationships lead to marriage. Concentrate yourself in the relationship part, on his side I have to say that if he has a masters or he's going for a PHD he does not need to marry you for a green card, for him the process is very simple, he just needs to apply for it after presenting all the necessary documentation, he just need to be backed up by a company (does wonders but it is not necessary), no LD certification just straight to green card proceedings.

Ask him to straighten out his status before doing anything serious. That way you get your proff of intentions (if by your post I think you are in dire need)
Ah, the famous "easy to get Green Card" line!

I can only assume that you're talking about apply for an Outstanding Researcher or National Interest waiver to bypass the Labor Certification step in applying for a Green Card.

I can tell you that a PhD certainly does not guarantee that you well get a Green Card as an Outstanding Researcher. You need a large number of publications in internationally recognised peer-reviewed journals and often require proof of international recognition in your field if you are going to apply for a Labor Certification waiver of this sort.

There's every possibility that someone with a Maters Degree and/or PhD would be expecting to have to leave the US when their student visa expires.

But at the end of the day, the OP needs to just take everyone's advice here to give it time and see how the relationship progresses. Stop finding reasons to worry about ulterior motives!