Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mall of America (Minneapolis) - any positive tips?

Mall of America (Minneapolis) - any positive tips?

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:55 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Mall of America (Minneapolis) - any positive tips?

Anyone been there?

I've just booked a Mon-Friday trip there - anyone have any tips about what to do/see? Will be staying near the mall, and plan to spend quite a bit of down-time there. Are there any historical open top coach trips around Minneapolis?
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 5:10 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mall of America (Minneapolis) - any positive tips?

Originally Posted by User Name
Anyone been there?

I've just booked a Mon-Friday trip there - anyone have any tips about what to do/see? Will be staying near the mall, and plan to spend quite a bit of down-time there. Are there any historical open top coach trips around Minneapolis?
If you love malls, you'll love MOA. If you hate them.... well, it's mall hell. Nothing really to recommend it IMHO. It's so big that they repeat some stores (more than one Radio Shack ).

I enjoyed driving around the historical areas of St Paul quite a lot. The MSP area when it ain't winter is beautiful (I can't handle s-s-snow!). Very friendly people.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:31 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If you love malls, you'll love MOA. If you hate them.... well, it's mall hell. Nothing really to recommend it IMHO. It's so big that they repeat some stores (more than one Radio Shack ).

I enjoyed driving around the historical areas of St Paul quite a lot. The MSP area when it ain't winter is beautiful (I can't handle s-s-snow!). Very friendly people.
*nods* ... mum will love the mall and the idea of shopping, I will hang out in coffee houses and type away on a laptop and look at the fun things. Thanks for the tips on the historical areas of St. Paul - I will try and get us on an organized tour. It's not tourist season yet, so might be harder to get on a trip during the week (we are arriving Monday afternoon and leaving Friday afternoon, I don't like crowds so avoid weekend trips to popular destinations).

Thinking of a trip to see the Presidents carved in that rock in late summer - when it should be cooler - has anyone done this trip?

A tip from moi, if anyone has a senior at home, there is nothing that boosts their spirits than looking forward to visiting a new (for them) far away destination. Even slight depression gets a kick up the back-side. Good for their moral, and frankly, I get a buzz seeing my mum so happy again.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:05 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone been there?

Hooters on the top floor of MOA is great. .... err now I'm struggling ... when are you there (next week ?) I go up to St Paul every month or so on business
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:07 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Hooters on the top floor of MOA is great. .... err now I'm struggling ... when are you there (next week ?) I go up to St Paul every month or so on business
Hooters? To coin a phrase, I couldn't possibly comment! Anyway, no fun with mum!

We are there from Monday 5/8 through 5/12/06 (arrive Monday, leave Friday).
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone been there?

For a break, you could always take a (long) day trip out to Laura Ingalls Wilder's old place (Little House on the Prairie). www.ingallshomestead.com is about 100 miles on from Walnut Grove...which in turn is I think about 4 hrs drive from M-StP.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hooters? To coin a phrase, I couldn't possibly comment! Anyway, no fun with mum!

We are there from Monday 5/8 through 5/12/06 (arrive Monday, leave Friday).
so am I - wanna have a beer ?
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Mall of America (Minneapolis) - any positive tips?

*nods* ... mum will love the mall and the idea of shopping, I will hang out in coffee houses and type away on a laptop and look at the fun things. Thanks for the tips on the historical areas of St. Paul - I will try and get us on an organized tour. It's not tourist season yet, so might be harder to get on a trip during the week (we are arriving Monday afternoon and leaving Friday afternoon, I don't like crowds so avoid weekend trips to popular destinations).

Thinking of a trip to see the Presidents carved in that rock in late summer - when it should be cooler - has anyone done this trip?

A tip from moi, if anyone has a senior at home, there is nothing that boosts their spirits than looking forward to visiting a new (for them) far away destination. Even slight depression gets a kick up the back-side. Good for their moral, and frankly, I get a buzz seeing my mum so happy again.
About your tip. Did you Mum choose the destination? Was she offered a choice of where to go for a vacation?
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:31 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Celsius
About your tip. Did you Mum choose the destination? Was she offered a choice of where to go for a vacation?
She saw a TV show about the Mall of America and said she would like to go there. I hate shopping in all its forms, so it is not a trip for me. Did I say I hate shopping? Make that I really hate shopping.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 6:32 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Eskimo
so am I - wanna have a beer ?
Sure ...
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Mall of America (Minneapolis) - any positive tips?

You can try these guys, for an open-top Bus Tour of Miserableapolis.

http://www.classic-car-rentals.com/bus.htm

Jim
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
You can try these guys, for an open-top Bus Tour of Miserableapolis.

http://www.classic-car-rentals.com/bus.htm
You live in Dubuque and you think Minneapolis is miserable?
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You live in Dubuque and you think Minneapolis is miserable?
The good thing about my job is that I spend little time here, hence my first posting in several weeks

Jim.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really recommend anything... I've been there a couple times. I don't particularly like shopping though! I usually go to the local mall instead, as the same shops are there that I use.

Good timing though, most of the snow has been washed away. So you may just get wet weather. Make sure you leave 2 days for the shopping, the mall really is big, and usually can't be covered in a day.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 12:48 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
... Make sure you leave 2 days for the shopping, the mall really is big, and usually can't be covered in a day.
Sounds like mum's heaven and my hell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.