British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Making the move...Well...Trying! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/making-move-well-trying-931790/)

Calcal Mar 18th 2020 4:08 pm

Making the move...Well...Trying!

**Mods - Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place**

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen!

Hope everyone is healthy.

I am writing this knowing you have all most likely read a million posts like this, but I must apologise in advance and keep going regardless Haha

I am turning 31 this month, single, no kids, no responsibilities. It has been a lifelong dream to make the move over to the US! I feel like England just doesn't have anything for me anymore, basically I'm not happy and have decided the next year or so I am planning on making the move!

But...It all seems so daunting and confusing to me! I have spent the last few days looking into correct Visas (B-1 I think I need). And how the sponsorships work.

I lack a degree, and I know it employers seem quite heavy on them? Will this be major issue? I have been coaching "soccer" for the last 10 years and was looking down that route maybe.

I'm also not sure if I'll be taken seriously? I am willing to travel over and job hunt in person, would anyone recommend doing this?

Sorry for banging on, my brain resembles mash potatoe right now!

Thanks,
Callum.

scot47 Mar 18th 2020 4:18 pm

Re: Making the move...Well...Trying!

"Visitors carrying a US B1/B2 Visa can enter the United States for a maximum of 180 days Per Entry. All visits are strictly limited to business or tourism, so you CANNOT seek paid work or employment,"

I found that by googling.

Calcal Mar 18th 2020 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12822907)
"Visitors carrying a US B1/B2 Visa can enter the United States for a maximum of 180 days Per Entry. All visits are strictly limited to business or tourism, so you CANNOT seek paid work or employment,"

I found that by googling.

I'm sorry if anything I've asked is blatantly obvious but trust me I've been looking and its just a lot to take in.

scot47 Mar 18th 2020 4:26 pm

It is difficult to get into the USA as a migrant and has been since just after World War One. Your best bet is marriage to a US citizen.

Lots of material on here. Read, read, read,

SanDiegogirl Mar 18th 2020 4:30 pm

What profession are you in?

Basically, you need to be offered a job where the job qualifies for a visa and the employer is prepared to sponsor you for a visa. Think, IT, finance, engineering, business expertise.

This means you need to be qualified and have skills the US employer needs, and is prepared to spend time and money to get.

Calcal Mar 18th 2020 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12822911)
It is difficult to get into the USA as a migrant and has been since just after World War One. Your best bet is marriage to a US citizen.

Lots of material on here. Read, read, read,

Haha marriage is a no no for me I think!

Yeah im still reading through everything, this was a desperate post I think because I was stressing myself out with all of it, tea break time!

Calcal Mar 18th 2020 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12822913)
What profession are you in?

Basically, you need to be offered a job where the job qualifies for a visa and the employer is prepared to sponsor you for a visa. Think, IT, finance, engineering, business expertise.

This means you need to be qualified and have skills the US employer needs, and is prepared to spend time and money to get.

Sports, I'm a qualified coach. So was looking at that really, I know high school/colleges offer full time employment for this, but I'm guessing it doesn't qualify as a skilled profession?

scot47 Mar 18th 2020 4:38 pm

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra.../us-visas.html

There is something on here by Pulaski which explains it all. I cannot find it.

SanDiegogirl Mar 18th 2020 4:39 pm

Not unless you are in the world class league. ......

Read the following to see if you could qualify some other way:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

Calcal Mar 18th 2020 4:54 pm

There is something on here by Pulaski which explains it all. I cannot find it.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12822919)
Not unless you are in the world class league. ......

Read the following to see if you could qualify

Thanks you guys! Really appreciate the help :)

Pulaski Mar 18th 2020 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Calcal (Post 12822902)
**Mods - Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place**

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen!

Hope everyone is healthy.

I am writing this knowing you have all most likely read a million posts like this, but I must apologise in advance and keep going regardless Haha

I am turning 31 this month, single, no kids, no responsibilities. It has been a lifelong dream to make the move over to the US! I feel like England just doesn't have anything for me anymore, basically I'm not happy and have decided the next year or so I am planning on making the move!

But...It all seems so daunting and confusing to me! ....

The reason you find it daunting and confusing is that you are coming at it with the assumption that it is possible and you can't find the way to make it happen, when the reality is that it is highly likely that there is no way for you to live and work in the US.

We see probably 6-10 cases a year like yours, here on BE, typically complaining that it is "confusing", of that they "can't find the information", but it is hard to accept that you, like most other people, will never come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

Calcal Mar 18th 2020 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12822927)
The reason you find it daunting and confusing is that you are coming at it with the assumption that it is possible and you can't find the way to make it happen, when the reality is that it is highly likely that there is no way for you to live and work in the US.

We see probably 6-10 cases a year like yours, here on BE, typically complaining that it is "confusing", of that they "can't find the information", but it is hard to accept that you, like most other people, will never come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

Yeah you're definitely right there sadly for me!

I will continue to fight the fight and pursue the dream any way possible! haha

Pulaski Mar 18th 2020 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Calcal (Post 12822932)
.... I will continue to fight the fight and pursue the dream any way possible! .....

Or apparently not, see post #6 above. ;)

Calcal Mar 18th 2020 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12822934)
Or apparently not, see post #6 above. ;)

That made me laugh at least! I'd rather stay in England than have a sham marriage I think! :p

Guindalf Mar 18th 2020 5:32 pm

No-one is or would suggest a sham marriage! Not only is it immoral, it's illegal!

The suggestion would be to find a soul mate who is a USC and marry. Then you could immigrate legitimately.

Coaching soccer is not likely to lead to a visa to live and work in the US. Therefore, your dream is just that, a dream - or possibly a nightmare! As has been explained, you can NOT come over and look for work. You must be offered a job by a company that is prepared to invest thousands of dollars and lots of time, and that's only if you qualify, which it does not appear you do.

There are plenty of other parts of the world that may be easier to get into that may require soccer coaches or even a different part of the UK. The world's a big place, although until the Covid 19 pandemic is under control, no-one's going anywhere!