Reload this Page >

Making the marriage legal in both countries

Making the marriage legal in both countries

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Emily894 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making the marriage legal in both countries

Hello,

I'm hoping for some advice on the daunting subject of marriage visas and the amount of red tape there is.
My fiance (US citizen) and I (UK citizen, living in California) are getting married in the Church of England in September. We have to fill out an application for a common license for the Church as he is a 'foreign national'. Can someone please elaborate for me, how we go about making the marriage legal in both countries? Will US law recognise a CofE marriage legally, or will we need to do something here when we come back after the wedding?

Thanks in advance,

Emily
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the marriage legal in both countries

If you are legally married in one country, you are legally married in both countries. In general, if you have proof that you're legally married in the UK, you don't need to do anything else in the USA.

I don't know if there's anything special about the CofE marriage that would not adhere to that rule.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you are legally married in one country, you are legally married in both countries. In general, if you have proof that you're legally married in the UK, you don't need to do anything else in the USA.

I don't know if there's anything special about the CofE marriage that would not adhere to that rule.

Rene
I seem to remember an issue that came up on these boards with a CofE marriage certificate. IIRC, it went something like this:

The marriage certificate issued by the CofE vicar was rejected by the consular officer -- they wanted to see a GRO copy. The CofE only submits copies to GRO for recording in batches, and there was a considerable delay before the record would be available from GRO.

Should be somewhere in the marriage threads.....but I can't be bothered to search.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 4:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh now that you mention it, that does ring a bell.

OP definitely needs to research this.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Emily894 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks guys. I'll email our lawyer as well to see what advice he has for us on the subject. All this legal stuff is so frustrating - almost takes the fun out of the wedding!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Colette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Emily894
Ok thanks guys. I'll email our lawyer as well to see what advice he has for us on the subject. All this legal stuff is so frustrating - almost takes the fun out of the wedding!
Try not to let it get to you. Make sure you spend as much time on looking at dresses and the like!

Congratulations
Colette