Reload this Page >

Majorly Confused :0/

Majorly Confused :0/

Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

The_TeaLady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Majorly Confused :0/

Hi Guys,

I have worked in sales now for 3 years, started as admin, working on a few accounts for a year and a half and progressed onto be a sales co-ordinator (account manager).
I did not attend college or university I worked as soon as I completed my GCSE's

I am hoping in the next 3 years to be able to afford to live and work in america for a few years, hopefully in account management, and do some travelling.

whats confusing me is the Visa side of thing, ive read alot of info on the different types of visas for working abroad but everything I read seems to mention degrees etc,

Is there a visa that I would be eligable for? I am planning on staying in my role until I can afford to travel which would generally mean I would have 6 years experience??

It has always been my dream to live in america so any help at all would be appreciated a huge amount!! :0) Thankyou!!!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Majorly Confused :0/

You're not confused at all. Rather you're the blind person looking for the black cat in the dark room -- that isn't even there! Forget it! OZ or NZ are nice.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You're not confused at all. Rather you're the blind person looking for the black cat in the dark room -- that isn't even there! Forget it! OZ or NZ are nice.
Yea they are not America though what would be my best way of getting a Visa, I really would be happy to change job roles or anything that would help?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_TeaLady
Hi Guys,

I have worked in sales now for 3 years, started as admin, working on a few accounts for a year and a half and progressed onto be a sales co-ordinator (account manager).
I did not attend college or university I worked as soon as I completed my GCSE's

I am hoping in the next 3 years to be able to afford to live and work in america for a few years, hopefully in account management, and do some travelling.

whats confusing me is the Visa side of thing, ive read alot of info on the different types of visas for working abroad but everything I read seems to mention degrees etc,

Is there a visa that I would be eligable for? I am planning on staying in my role until I can afford to travel which would generally mean I would have 6 years experience??

It has always been my dream to live in america so any help at all would be appreciated a huge amount!! :0) Thankyou!!!
Without a degree, or 12 years experience (3 years for each year of education you missed out on) you wont be eligible for the H1B visa which is the visa that a company would need to sponsor you for. They of a very limited number anyway and are very very oversubscribed. They come out on the 1st april and are all applied for on that day, so thats a non-starter.

I dont have a degree but I came over on an L1B visa which is a visa for transferring within the same company. I moved from London to NYC and the visa process was relatively straightforward. Your best bet would be to get a job with a company that has offices both in the UK and in the US. You would then need to work for them for 1 year before you would be eligible for the L1b visa (providing your company are willing to offer you a job in the US office obviously!)..

Remember, in any employment based visa category it is the company that begins the application process. You as an individual cannot 'apply' for a visa.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the BE Wiki article about routes to living and working in the USA?

Just in case you haven't, here it is:

Also, if you work in the US legally, there's a fair chance that you won't have the paid vacation to do much traveling in the leisure sense.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Without a degree, or 12 years experience (3 years for each year of education you missed out on) you wont be eligible for the H1B visa which is the visa that a company would need to sponsor you for. They of a very limited number anyway and are very very oversubscribed. They come out on the 1st april and are all applied for on that day, so thats a non-starter.

I dont have a degree but I came over on an L1B visa which is a visa for transferring within the same company. I moved from London to NYC and the visa process was relatively straightforward. Your best bet would be to get a job with a company that has offices both in the UK and in the US. You would then need to work for them for 1 year before you would be eligible for the L1b visa (providing your company are willing to offer you a job in the US office obviously!)..

Remember, in any employment based visa category it is the company that begins the application process. You as an individual cannot 'apply' for a visa.
wow 12 years is a long time, understadably though I guess :0/ are their any jobs which are in high demand in the US that I could do a course in the uk while working which would speed up the process ot a few years???

Thankyou for your help! Guess I better get searching for companies that would sed me over! I would be thoroughly gutted though if I began working and they didnt send me over
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

what would be my best way of getting a Visa
The "best" way? Marry a US citizen. Everything else is the "not-so-best" way.

Ian
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Have you read the BE Wiki article about routes to living and working in the USA?

Just in case you haven't, here it is:

Also, if you work in the US legally, there's a fair chance that you won't have the paid vacation to do much traveling in the leisure sense.
oooh no I havent seen it, please could you try re-post the link as it didnt seem to work :/ sounds pretty useful!!

I was hoping to travel after I finished working for a year or two before I came back over to the Uk...fingers crossed!! ...well definiflty crossed as it seems im trying to do the impossible *cries*

thanks for your help!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

wow 12 years is a long time, understadably though I guess :0/ are their any jobs which are in high demand in the US that I could do a course in the uk while working which would speed up the process ot a few years???

Thankyou for your help! Guess I better get searching for companies that would sed me over! I would be thoroughly gutted though if I began working and they didnt send me over

Here you go....the top 20 for 2006:

1 TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES LIMITED 4887
2 COGNIZANT TECH SOLUTIONS 3520
3 IBM CORP. 1237
4 SATYAM COMPUTER SERVICES 950
5 WIPRO LTD 839
6 HCL AMERICA INC 511
7 DELOITTE & TOUCHE LLP/ DELOITTE CONSULTING LLP 512
8 PATNI COMPUTER SYSTEMS INC 440
9 INTEL CORP. 394
10 KANBAY INC. 329
11 HONEYWELL INTERNATIONAL 320
12 HEWLETT-PACKARD 316
13 INFOSYS TECHNOLOGIES 294
14 ACCENTURE LLP 291
15 CARITOR INC 231
16 SCHLUMBERGER TECHNOLOGY CORP 214
17 ORACLE 176
18 SYNTEL LTD 171
19 PRICEWATERHOUSECOOPERS 168
20 MICROSOFT CORP. 168
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

wow 12 years is a long time, understadably though I guess :0/ are their any jobs which are in high demand in the US that I could do a course in the uk while working which would speed up the process ot a few years?
If you went to university for 4 years and got a degree, you'd definitely cut your wait time by 2/3.

Ian
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The "best" way? Marry a US citizen. Everything else is the "not-so-best" way.

Ian
ha ha ha ooooh well should I say the not so best way........unless I magically meet hte man of my dreams and hes from the US, now that would save me sooo much time lol
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Here you go....the top 20 for 2006:

1 TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES LIMITED 4887
2 COGNIZANT TECH SOLUTIONS 3520
3 IBM CORP. 1237
4 SATYAM COMPUTER SERVICES 950
5 WIPRO LTD 839
6 HCL AMERICA INC 511
7 DELOITTE & TOUCHE LLP/ DELOITTE CONSULTING LLP 512
8 PATNI COMPUTER SYSTEMS INC 440
9 INTEL CORP. 394
10 KANBAY INC. 329
11 HONEYWELL INTERNATIONAL 320
12 HEWLETT-PACKARD 316
13 INFOSYS TECHNOLOGIES 294
14 ACCENTURE LLP 291
15 CARITOR INC 231
16 SCHLUMBERGER TECHNOLOGY CORP 214
17 ORACLE 176
18 SYNTEL LTD 171
19 PRICEWATERHOUSECOOPERS 168
20 MICROSOFT CORP. 168
Cool thanks for that!! I already have links with hewlett packard and IBM (well I deal with them daily) so maybe my best route :0) *hopes and dreams*
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you went to university for 4 years and got a degree, you'd definitely cut your wait time by 2/3.

Ian
Yeah I was hoping to do that but I have to pull two jobs as it is to keep me on top of payments for rent etc so really couldnt afford to give them up to go to uni full time :/ gutting, I knew there was a reason I should have stuck out my education!! if only in school they say "you will never get to america unless you go to college and university" I would have never left!!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:11 pm
Septicity

Yeah I was hoping to do that but I have to pull two jobs as it is to keep me on top of payments for rent etc so really couldnt afford to give them up to go to uni full time :/ gutting, I knew there was a reason I should have stuck out my education!! if only in school they say "you will never get to america unless you go to college and university" I would have never left!!
Strangely enough, most of the people who relocate to America probably don't have a particularly high level of education. Rather, they fit in one of the narrow niches that provide a path here.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Strangely enough, most of the people who relocate to America probably don't have a particularly high level of education. Rather, they fit in one of the narrow niches that provide a path here.
aah excellent *goes in search of narrow niche* well fingers crossed I can get a career that will help me get over, probably sounds strange but I jsut feel like I dont belong when im in the UK, ah well, onwards I go with my searching and reading and reading and searching!!

THANKS MUCHLY for your help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.