British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Maintaining UK bank accounts and Credit cards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/maintaining-uk-bank-accounts-credit-cards-424403/)

blaze Feb 10th 2007 5:37 pm

Re: Maintaining UK bank accounts and Credit cards

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4387118)
In that case you should complain to Head Office (it may be an over-zealous branch officer) or alternatively find another bank. There is definitely no bar on a foreign citizen holding a UK bank account.

How do you think other immigrants to the UK manage? Or how the City of London manages to survive?

A last resort fall-back is to open an account at a bank branch in the Channel Islands and Isle of Man. They are used to dealing with people with overseas links.

Believe me, that's the first time that my husband has ever seen me get that angry, as far as I was concerned the Bank Manager that I was sitting in front of at the time didn't have a clue what she was talking about.
I'm not proud of the fact that I lost it with her but she was treating my husband like a nobody because he was a US citizen! She actually said that there was nothing she could do for us so we hopped in the car and drove to the branch in the next town over. The person working the customer service desk was quite happy to offer to put my OH's name on the account so that he could access it whilst in the UK, the Bank Manager at the other branch wouldn't even offer that!
I believe my exact words to the Manager were "I will do what I bloody well want with MY own account in MY country any time I choose!" and I stormed out with my husband and son following in utter shock!
You have to understand that my nickname is 'Switzerland' because I'm usually so neutral and will do anything to avoid a confrontation but I just couldn't believe what I was being told. To this day I still think she was wrong!

JAJ Feb 10th 2007 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by blaze (Post 4387407)
You have to understand that my nickname is 'Switzerland' because I'm usually so neutral and will do anything to avoid a confrontation but I just couldn't believe what I was being told. To this day I still think she was wrong!

Of course she was wrong!! So why on earth did you let her get away with it - you ought to have complained directly to the Chief Executive of the bank?

blaze Feb 10th 2007 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 4387456)
Of course she was wrong!! So why on earth did you let her get away with it - you ought to have complained directly to the Chief Executive of the bank?

Because we didn't have the time. We were only putting my husband on the account at the last minute because our house had not sold yet and we were due to fly out with the military the next day. We just thought that it would be easier to have him on the account should we need to complete the transaction via mail, telephone etc from the states (which we did in the end!). It was one of those things that was left until the last minute because we thought it would take 2 minutes to take care of, no big deal!
To have taken it any furthur would have required us being in the country as their policy is that the new account holder needs to be there in person to show ID etc. So basically, we were stuck!

Leeds_Lass Feb 14th 2007 7:28 pm

There's some great info in this thread, any chance we could get it stickied?

Here's a shameless bump anyway :D.