Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Maintaining UK bank accounts and Credit cards

Maintaining UK bank accounts and Credit cards

Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maintaining UK bank accounts and Credit cards

Originally Posted by Philgr
No idea - as I said, my friend, who is a City banker and has looked into this for his own situation, says there is case law on it and a slight danger that it can happen. He advised taking the UKC off our UK accounts and just holding them in the name of the USC. Domicile is certainly not unitary in the eyes of the IR - so proving domicile somewhere else isn't the same as proving you are (were) not domiciled in the UK.
Actually under English law (and Scottish, as far as I know), domicile is a unitary concept. You cannot hold a domicile in two jurisdictions simultaneously.

If you hold a lot of real estate in the UK then domicile may not matter - UK based assets may fall into the Inheritance Tax net anyway. And if you don't have much UK real property, then how are the Inland Revenue even going to know about your estate, let alone try to collect estate tax in another country. UK tax officials cannot demand that the authorities of another country or territory collect tax for them.

I would think that moving bank accounts to the Isle of Man would be a better option than taking them out of joint names.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Actually under English law (and Scottish, as far as I know), domicile is a unitary concept. You cannot hold a domicile in two jurisdictions simultaneously.
Apologies for the mis-information - you are quite right. Having read the IR web explanation it seems that while domicile is unitary, the proof of domicile is more vague. Living somewhere doesn't prove domicile - you have to show that you have done so permanently by breaking ties with your domicile of origin (or its successor). I think my friend must have been concerned that maintaining bank and other accounts in the UK provided an argument that he planned to return and so hadn't given up domicile.

As to how the IR finds out - I don't know, are there reporting requirements on banks and/or solicitors acting as executors? How does the IR usually find out. Just because they can't enforce collection in the US doesn't make me that comfortable if it means an effective ban from the UK for my heirs.

Anyway, I've adequately demonstrated I don't know enough about this to provide advice - if anyone cares ask someone who is an expert in it.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philgr
As to how the IR finds out - I don't know, are there reporting requirements on banks and/or solicitors acting as executors?
Not in foreign jurisdictions. They might have to report to the local authorites, but the Inland Revenue cannot force foreign accountants and lawyer to report anything to them. Even on the offchance that such foreign accountant/lawyer knew anything about

How does the IR usually find out. Just because they can't enforce collection in the US doesn't make me that comfortable if it means an effective ban from the UK for my heirs.
Inheritance Tax is levied on the estate as far as I know, not the beneficiaries. It's an *estate* tax rather than a *capital acquisitions tax*. Some countries do have the latter tax, but that's not the way United Kingdom legislation works.

As you say - get professional advice if sums are important. But do discuss with such adviser the points noted above : how will Inland Revenue even know about a foreign estate, and even if they do find out, what effective right have they to collect tax in a foreign jurisdiction. It may be that the maximum effective Inheritance Tax liability of the estate is limited to the total of UK-located net assets, and in the case of bank accounts, these can be minimised by moving to the Isle of Man.

Also note - tax is one reason for arranging one's finances in a particular way, but not the *only* reason.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

I assume you are all talking about current accounts. I have a few savings accounts in the UK, and some require you to be a UK resident which I doubt would send out statements to the US etc. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone does have savings accounts and have not had a problem with this.

cheers
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hank Hill
I assume you are all talking about current accounts. I have a few savings accounts in the UK, and some require you to be a UK resident which I doubt would send out statements to the US etc. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone does have savings accounts and have not had a problem with this.

cheers
I kept all my addresses in the UK but I dont see any reason why the savings accounts would be different. The VAST majority of current accounts require you to be resident in the UK at least when open the accounts
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:49 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I keep open UK bank accounts with HSBC and Cahoot, Visa card, american express and a cash ISA. Both VISA and Amex are aware I am abroad, the HSBC, ISA and Cahoot don't.

Class 2 contributions ... not worth the bother and I read somewhere you can't make them anyway if you are a foreign resident. There were moves afoot to bring the minimum years for qualification to a UK pension to 35, and the Dept of Work and Pensions advised me before I left NOT to make a top up payment as I was 5 years short of a full pension, because it might well be a waste of money.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I
Class 2 contributions ... not worth the bother and I read somewhere you can't make them anyway if you are a foreign resident. There were moves afoot to bring the minimum years for qualification to a UK pension to 35, and the Dept of Work and Pensions advised me before I left NOT to make a top up payment as I was 5 years short of a full pension, because it might well be a waste of money.
You can make contributions, but only if you've been a resident and working for 3 years previous before you moved abroad....but if your close to making a full pension then it might be a waste of time.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:44 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You can make contributions, but only if you've been a resident and working for 3 years previous before you moved abroad....but if your close to making a full pension then it might be a waste of time.
Yes especially if the new law comes into force
Old Feb 10th 2007, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Hank Hill
Most UK banks have no problem allowing a customer to keep accounts when moving out of the UK. That includes current accounts, savings accounts and credit cards.

Exceptions seem to be the "internet" banks like "Egg", "Smile" etc - people have reported hassles here. But not with High Street banks.

Some banks will de-activate an account that becomes "dormant" but that varies from one institution to another.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:12 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have kept my bank account, credit card and building society accounts. I gave them my US address and phone no. All correspondence is sent to the US...it's never been a problem.

Same here, never had a problem. I get my statements sent to NY every month.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:29 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I did have a problem with was putting my US hubby on my UK bank account, one that I have had most of my life (the account that is! )
After Sept 11 Lloyds/TSB changed the way they did business a little and would not allow a foreign national to have joint ownership of a current account. I faught tooth and nail to get them to waive this as I have been an account holder with them for ever but they would not budge.
The only thing they would do for us was put his name on the account allowing him to physically go into a branch and take money out with proof of ID, but he is not allowed to have any type of card in his name and he is not allowed to do any transactions over the phone etc.

Last edited by blaze; Feb 10th 2007 at 3:43 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
One thing I did have a problem with was putting my US hubby on my UK bank account, one that I have had most of my life (the account that is! )
After Sept 11 Lloyds/TSB changed the way they did business a little and would not allow a foreign national to have joint ownership of a current account. I faught tooth and nail to et them to waive this as I have been an account holder with them for ever but they would not budge.
The only thing they would do for us was put his name on the account allowing him to physically go into a branch and take money out with proof of ID, but he is not allowed to have any type of card in his name and he is not allowed to do any transactions over the phone etc.
I did that sucessfully with first direct ....
but it took a bit of underhand manourvering
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

After Sept 11 Lloyds/TSB changed the way they did business a little and would not allow a foreign national to have joint ownership of a current account. I faught tooth and nail to et them to waive this as I have been an account holder with them for ever but they would not budge.
That sounds extremely strange. Lots of "foreign nationals" living in the UK maintain bank accounts there. Do you mean a "foreign resident"?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:42 pm
Blondie22

Originally Posted by JAJ
That sounds extremely strange. Lots of "foreign nationals" living in the UK maintain bank accounts there. Do you mean a "foreign resident"?

An American citizen
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

An American citizen
In that case you should complain to Head Office (it may be an over-zealous branch officer) or alternatively find another bank. There is definitely no bar on a foreign citizen holding a UK bank account.

How do you think other immigrants to the UK manage? Or how the City of London manages to survive?

A last resort fall-back is to open an account at a bank branch in the Channel Islands and Isle of Man. They are used to dealing with people with overseas links.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.