British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Maintaining UK bank accounts and Credit cards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/maintaining-uk-bank-accounts-credit-cards-424403/)

BigDavyG Feb 5th 2007 9:00 pm

Re: Maintaining UK bank accounts and Credit cards

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4367744)
aye, but if you've had plenty in the UK and are close to getting the full amount, and young enough to get one in the US, it's worth not using the reciprocal agreement to get two pensions if your going to be long enough.

How do you mean 'using the reciprocal agreement' ??
If I return to the UK and inform them I was here will the contributions I missed be paid by Uncle Sam ??

Jerseygirl Feb 5th 2007 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4367759)
If I return to the UK and inform them I was here will the contributions I missed be paid by Uncle Sam ??

If you've paid enough..yes and vica versa.

ScottMc Feb 5th 2007 9:08 pm

Its 11 years contributions here to qualify isn't it? I need to check as I'll have done that and then no point adding to it..prob no state pension available by the time I'm ready for it!

BigDavyG Feb 5th 2007 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4367777)
If you've paid enough..yes and vica versa.

Enough for what ??

So say I go to the US for 4 years and work the whole time. I could use ss payments made in the US to cover the missing ni contributions in the UK - is that what you're saying ??

BigDavyG Feb 5th 2007 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ScottMc (Post 4367787)
prob no state pension available by the time I'm ready for it!

That's kind of what I was thinking anyway and already opted out of additional state pension payments at home.
I'm more concerned about 'wasting' future contributions should I go back to the UK to be honest.

Jerseygirl Feb 5th 2007 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4367791)
Enough for what ??

So say I go to the US for 4 years and work the whole time. I could use ss payments made in the US to cover the missing ni contributions in the UK - is that what you're saying ??

You have to have made a certain amount of contributions and I'm not sure what that is. As Bob said there is an agreement between the US/UK to make up the pension payable.

Bob Feb 5th 2007 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4367759)

yup.

Bob Feb 5th 2007 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by ScottMc (Post 4367787)
Its 11 years contributions here to qualify isn't it? I need to check as I'll have done that and then no point adding to it..prob no state pension available by the time I'm ready for it!

It's 10 full quarters of contributions, but can work out to be less than 10 years.

ScottMc Feb 5th 2007 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4367949)
It's 10 full quarters of contributions, but can work out to be less than 10 years.

Ahh, done that. In that case no real benefit from voluntarily adding them as far as I'm aware unless someone corrects me?

Kate2112 Feb 5th 2007 10:12 pm

I have LloydsTSB current account and CC's. Both have US billing address though I use online banking to pay CC from another UK account (Barclays) No problem having a US address.

Class 2 conts for pension purposes may be worthwhile if you are within 10 years of a state pension and have a full contribution record. You can get a statement advising your contribution record from http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ which can help to answer any questions you have re current position and future entitlement.

Bob Feb 5th 2007 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by ScottMc (Post 4367956)
Ahh, done that. In that case no real benefit from voluntarily adding them as far as I'm aware unless someone corrects me?

I was talking about the US...don't know about the UK....but if you don't have enough contributions to draw a pension in one country, you can use your countributions in the other as a top up.

Richardowen Feb 6th 2007 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4367727)
Why use his mum's address when he can use his own? I've lived here for almost 11 yrs and the Nat West and Halifax have had no problem whatsoever with my US address.

I have a Halifax account and had to send a letter to my branch to change my address to my folks and then had to call them 5 times until I finally got to speak to the branch where they said, "oh yes we got your letter and we sent a letter to you for you to confirm that this was from you"..... yep they sent the letter to my OLD address !

With regard to changing to US account, I thought they'd have a problem with sending statements etc internationally and Halifax told me that the least number of statements they can send is 4 a year (quaterly).

Did you have to go into a branch to change your address to US address ?

Actually I have 4 accounts with Halifax and everytime I've moved it's taken me 5 or 6 attempts to get my address changed on all my accounts. IMHO they're a good bank as far as services are concerned but they're a very incompetent when it comes to customer service and basic administration.

R./

Jerseygirl Feb 6th 2007 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Richardowen (Post 4368389)
I have a Halifax account and had to send a letter to my branch to change my address to my folks and then had to call them 5 times until I finally got to speak to the branch where they said, "oh yes we got your letter and we sent a letter to you for you to confirm that this was from you"..... yep they sent the letter to my OLD address !

With regard to changing to US account, I thought they'd have a problem with sending statements etc internationally and Halifax told me that the least number of statements they can send is 4 a year (quaterly).

Did you have to go into a branch to change your address to US address ?

Actually I have 4 accounts with Halifax and everytime I've moved it's taken me 5 or 6 attempts to get my address changed on all my accounts. IMHO they're a good bank as far as services are concerned but they're a very incompetent when it comes to customer service and basic administration.

R./

I have several accounts with them too. No I think we just had to put it in writing...they have a copy of your signature on record so it shouldn't be a problem. I just have deposit accounts with them and can't say I've had any problems.

Ray Feb 6th 2007 3:31 am

I just love First Direct ... bend over backward to help you ...

Jerseygirl Feb 6th 2007 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4368737)
I just love First Direct ... bend over backward to help you ...

They sound just like Chase...