Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Maine to consider cell phone cancer warning

Maine to consider cell phone cancer warning

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:14 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Maine to consider cell phone cancer warning

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091220/...phone_warnings

AUGUSTA, Maine – A Maine legislator wants to make the state the first to require cell phones to carry warnings that they can cause brain cancer, although there is no consensus among scientists that they do and industry leaders dispute the claim.

Not sure what I think about this really, as I don't use one enough to worry about it
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maine to consider cell phone cancer warning

They need mobile phone reception first...

Anyway, can't see it going through, if they can't get bear baiting off the books...
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:11 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They need mobile phone reception first...

Still cracks me up seeing "city folk" going into meltdown in the hotel when they can't get their expensive phones to work. (my tracphone ALWAYS has signal )
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 1:58 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus

Still cracks me up seeing "city folk" going into meltdown in the hotel when they can't get their expensive phones to work. (my tracphone ALWAYS has signal )
If they are using anything other than US Cellular North of Auburn they are screwed. Half the people in the State have ****ed brains and the other half couldn't read the warnings if they wanted to. What's the point?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

That's dumb.

I'm clearly biased as someone who's worked for Nokia and Motorola in my time, but as is said in the article, not once has it been shown. And the tests that are done on the minor off chance are incredly thorough (we're talking simulated heads with probes in them!).

We actually had a legal team at Nokia deal with a case where a guy bought a cell phone for his wife. The wife was later diagnosed with a brain tumor and so he took them to the court.

In the hearing, they asked the husband why he bought her the phone. He said "because she started forgetting where she was and I felt better her having a cell phone so she could call me when she got confused".

Err, forgetting where she was... geee, don't think that was maybe a symptom of a brain tumor!?

The case was thrown out immediately. The husband walked out of court basically slating us and saying he couldn't compete with all the fancy lawyers

And don't even get me started on the ridiculous idea that cell phones cause gas station fires...
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
And don't even get me started on the ridiculous idea that cell phones cause gas station fires...
what, you mean people weren't blaming it on the cigs they're smoking while hot filling their cars?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
what, you mean people weren't blaming it on the cigs they're smoking while hot filling their cars?
Mythbusters did a good segment on it a while back.

They said women are the most likely to cause fires, since some start the gas pumping then get back in the car. When they get out, they've built up static charge on the seat and when they touch the pump again a spark goes off.

Men tend to just stand by car.

Old people also get in the car, but often steady themselves when getting out by touching the door or the frame... in doing so they ground themselves and so no spark.

Bet you wish you never asked now
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in617547.shtml

The above does confirm your statement about women causing most fires with their nylon stocking clad legs rubbing together. I'm going to have to lie down after writing that.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Scroll down to the bottom

"After further investigation of the accident scene and another discussion with the victim of the May 13 gasoline station fire in New Paltz, I have concluded the source of the ignition was from some source other than the cell phone the motorist was carrying" - Patrick Koch, Fire Chief of New Paltz, NY.

Unfortunately, such facts don't sell newspapers.

Last edited by hobbes79; Dec 23rd 2009 at 7:42 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Scroll down to the bottom

"After further investigation of the accident scene and another discussion with the victim of the May 13 gasoline station fire in New Paltz, I have concluded the source of the ignition was from some source other than the cell phone the motorist was carrying" - Patrick Koch, Fire Chief of New Paltz, NY.

Unfortunately, such facts don't sell newspapers.
OK snopes is good. Perhaps he was a cross dresser.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Zonie
OK snopes is good. Perhaps he was a cross dresser.

It's just one of those incredible urban myths that's just gathered an insane amount of momentum. And the trouble is, the cell phone companies don't want to say it will NEVER happen since if it does they would be in trouble.

So better to sit back and let gas stations put up pointless signs (that most ignore) than risk a law suit.

All very daft. My wife hates the subject being brought up since I can turn into an incredible bore on the subject... much like now
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:05 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
... much to the relief of Philip Morris et all.
bricking themselves with someone claiming the cigarette was too hot and ignited the petrol... or go after the petrol companies claiming the fuel is too flammable or too low of a flashpoint...

What they should have is an add campaign like that of Smokey the Bear...
"Only YOU can prevent gas station fires."
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:34 pm
lush

Mythbusters did a good segment on it a while back.
I remember that one
Old Dec 24th 2009, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Since I've lived in Maine I've seen gas station staff stand on the forecourt and light up (because they're not allowed to smoke in the shop?) I've seen them smoke while stacking bottles of oil by the pumps. I found the oil delivery driver smoking while pumping oil into my house...

It does make you wonder what difference a warning on a cellphone might make
Old Dec 24th 2009, 4:02 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm sure that if anyone really thought that cell phones would bring down a plane, they'd make sure that your cell was turned off rather than politely asking you to do it.

Anywaysssss..... is Maine the new California?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.