Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Main Water Tap

Main Water Tap

Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default Main Water Tap

Just moving into a new place this weekend and when I went to the house this evenning the water was off. I assume its been turned off at the main tap but unlike in the UK it appears not to be under the sink....any ideas?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:54 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Main Water Tap

What kind of a place, house, apartment, etc?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Often find there is a shut off outside. Might also be turned off at the meter? Are you a house or condo/flat?
Have a look outside.
Potential valves from street to tap. (Still can't say faucet without feeling a dork!)
Meter > External Shut off > Internal Shut off > Individual Tap Isolator.

Good Luck.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:56 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Take a walk in the yard. There may be a water meter out there (looks like a manhole cover, but the size of a saucer). That might be where you main tap is located. Or there may be something just inside your garage or under the house (crawlspace).
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
Just moving into a new place this weekend and when I went to the house this evenning the water was off. I assume its been turned off at the main tap but unlike in the UK it appears not to be under the sink....any ideas?
Makes me wonder if the previous water bill hasn't been paid, if it's city water.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
What kind of a place, house, apartment, etc?
It a ranch style house with no basement, I'm going to ring the city to see if they know anything about it, although the previous tennets only moved out 1 month ago so I suspect it has not been cut off that quick.

Anyway I'll go hunting this morning and see what I can find.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
It a ranch style house with no basement, I'm going to ring the city to see if they know anything about it, although the previous tennets only moved out 1 month ago so I suspect it has not been cut off that quick.

Anyway I'll go hunting this morning and see what I can find.
Hmmm.. my ranch house would have had it in the basement.

If you can find the meter outside, generally it would be around that location - either inside or outside of the house.

Calling the city is an excellent idea - perhaps the prior tenants just shut it off on purpose, if the house has been vacant, although that would seem odd to me.

Also, if you are renting, you could call the landlord of course. But starting with the city is probably easiest.

Good luck!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Landlord makes more sense to me. If he/she is local they may have shut off if they new they didn't have a tenant in immediately. Better that than a leak going unnoticed for ages.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Landlord makes more sense to me. If he/she is local they may have shut off if they new they didn't have a tenant in immediately. Better that than a leak going unnoticed for ages.
That's what I was thinking - maybe shut off on purpose.

Not sure if the OP has purchased the house or is renting though.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Mines in a downstairs closet, plus another one outside the house.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:40 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my house last week and had to go and pay a $100 non-refundable deposit to the water company so they'd switch the water on so my guess is there's something they have to do otherwise they wouldn't be able to fleece everyone.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The main valve is going to be near the water meter. Trace the pipes back from your water heater and you'll eventually find it.

Up north, the exterior shutoff will be well below grade; I don't know where it will be in Texas.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I bought my house last week and had to go and pay a $100 non-refundable deposit to the water company so they'd switch the water on so my guess is there's something they have to do otherwise they wouldn't be able to fleece everyone.
For referance, this is exactly what we had to do!!! The previous tenents must of declared they were going and the city switched off the water. It ony cost $20 but at east we have water now
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:31 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

often you can turn the water on yourself as long at the water company have not put a lock on the meter/removed it...

very simple, just need a crescent wrench
Old Mar 1st 2008, 3:48 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
often you can turn the water on yourself as long at the water company have not put a lock on the meter/removed it...

very simple, just need a crescent wrench
A crescent wrench doesn't always do the job. Our main shutoff valve has an design which is intended to be opened with an odd two-pronged tool. At a pinch, it can be operated with a large screwdriver and a lot of force, but the local garden center sells tools specifically for this valve design (common in sprinkler systems) for about $5.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.