British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mailing toy guns from UK to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mailing-toy-guns-uk-us-725089/)

bromleygirl Jul 16th 2011 7:58 am

Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 
My sons two toy pistol guns were left behind when we moved and he now wants them back! Have been told not to take them to Heathrow as if they are checked the bags will be pulled and hold up the flight and if carry on would alert security and would need permission from pilot which would hold up the flight.

So were looking at mailing them..1 is a cap gun with no caps and both are metal and plastic - your typical kids toy pistols - think cowboys and indians! Anyway we've been advised by Royal Mail to mark the packages with "Secondhand child's toy gun" and they should make it over there however the concerns are what will US Customs make of them?? I've e-mailed Customs but so far have not heard anything back. Has anyone done this before? Any advise on how to declare them would be really appreciated!

srefre Jul 16th 2011 11:19 am

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 
Would it not be quicker, cheaper and easier to just buy similar toy guns in the US, or is there something specific about these ones?

tonrob Jul 16th 2011 11:22 am

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 

Originally Posted by srefre (Post 9498964)
Would it not be quicker, cheaper and easier to just buy similar toy guns in the US, or is there something specific about these ones?

Are guns popular in the US? :confused:

DeadVim Jul 16th 2011 12:12 pm

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9498970)
Are guns popular in the US? :confused:

I know they like to take them abroad to try them out.

sir_eccles Jul 16th 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 
Be aware there are some local laws that restrict new sales of toy guns in the sense that they must be brightly colored, marked etc etc to prevent police officers shooting children. I don't know how that might apply to existing toys but just be aware of the consequences of bringing in such toys.

Bob Jul 17th 2011 1:27 am

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9499390)
Be aware there are some local laws that restrict new sales of toy guns in the sense that they must be brightly colored, marked etc etc to prevent police officers shooting children. I don't know how that might apply to existing toys but just be aware of the consequences of bringing in such toys.

yeah, not worth it, it's a federal crime to remove the orange tips on the barrels of toy guns, so no idea what the hassles might be on bringing toys in that never complied in the first place.

Kar98 Jul 17th 2011 1:30 am

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 
Why not just get real versions of those toy guns here?

bromleygirl Jul 17th 2011 6:49 am

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 
Both guns have the orange tips in them which customs would be able to see.

My son just wants his own toy guns and has said he doesn't want new ones bought in the U.S. so hence trying to mail his treasured guns:)

ian-mstm Jul 17th 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 9500175)
My son just wants his own toy guns and has said he doesn't want new ones bought in the U.S. so hence trying to mail his treasured guns:)

Respectfully... as a responsible parent, you are not obligated to comply with your son's whims. Leave the guns where they are. He'll get over the disappointment.

Ian

ldyinlv Jul 17th 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9500719)
Respectfully... as a responsible parent, you are not obligated to comply with your son's whims. Leave the guns where they are. He'll get over the disappointment.

Ian

Yeah, sounds like trouble waiting to happen to me...The US dont play when it comes to guns, and things sent through the mail..not worth the hassle....toy guns are kinda frowned upon anyway for kids.....

Desmodronic Jul 17th 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 
To be honest, I would try to get the guys interested in something else other than cowboys and indians. Like another poster said, cops dont play when it comes to toy guns. Do you really wanna take that risk?

Picture this, your kids are outside playing with the guns and a cop sees them..........you know what that cop is gonna think dont you?

A few years back they shot one of their own because he was in civvies and pointing his gun at someone who had assaulted him.The cops shot him.

Boiler Jul 17th 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 

Originally Posted by Desmodronic (Post 9501237)
To be honest, I would try to get the guys interested in something else other than cowboys and indians. Like another poster said, cops dont play when it comes to toy guns. Do you really wanna take that risk?

Picture this, your kids are outside playing with the guns and a cop sees them..........you know what that cop is gonna think dont you?

A few years back they shot one of their own because he was in civvies and pointing his gun at someone who had assaulted him.The cops shot him.

Join the local 4H, they have a Shooting programme.

Steve_ Jul 20th 2011 12:04 am

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 

Originally Posted by bromleygirl (Post 9498742)
My sons two toy pistol guns were left behind when we moved and he now wants them back! Have been told not to take them to Heathrow as if they are checked the bags will be pulled and hold up the flight and if carry on would alert security and would need permission from pilot which would hold up the flight.

Oh bollocks, I've travelled from Heathrow with guns many, many times (let alone toy guns), the IATA regs don't cover toy guns. You just declare them to the airline and mention them at check-in so the guy working the machine doesn't crap himself. Must be in hold luggage.


So were looking at mailing them..1 is a cap gun with no caps and both are metal and plastic - your typical kids toy pistols - think cowboys and indians! Anyway we've been advised by Royal Mail to mark the packages with "Secondhand child's toy gun" and they should make it over there however the concerns are what will US Customs make of them?? I've e-mailed Customs but so far have not heard anything back. Has anyone done this before? Any advise on how to declare them would be really appreciated!
To be legal to import into the US they must meet the US definition of a toy gun, which basically means they must have the blaze orange tip as illustrated here: http://www.toyarsenal.com/

Octang Frye Jul 20th 2011 12:09 am

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9500805)
Yeah, sounds like trouble waiting to happen to me...The US dont play when it comes to guns, and things sent through the mail..not worth the hassle....toy guns are kinda frowned upon anyway for kids.....

They are? By whom?

tonrob Jul 20th 2011 1:38 am

Re: Mailing toy guns from UK to US
 

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 9505826)
They are? By whom?

By Mr Yellow Smiley, that's who.

:frown:

See?


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.