Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mailing tax returns from the UK

Mailing tax returns from the UK

Old Jun 16th 2016, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

sharmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mailing tax returns from the UK

Hi y'all - I mailed my tax return to Austin mid March - completed with software and selected direct withdrawal as i owed a tiny sum ($65 - don't ask) - the payment has not been taken yet. Should I call? How do I know if it has been received?
Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mailing tax returns from the UK

If you have proof of postage this is all you need. If you wanted certainty you might have used one of the IRS approved private delivery services.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

You can check online even though you mailed it in.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

sharmac is an unknown quantity at this point

i cant get past the refund amount - is there a way to check when you owe?
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharmac
i cant get past the refund amount - is there a way to check when you owe?
You are correct, it is for refunds only. If you haven't had your bank debited and you don't have proof that they received the return you sent then I guess you'd have to call.

http://classroom.synonym.com/out-irs...xes-23857.html

Contact the IRS if the check that you sent them to pay your tax bill is not cashed after two weeks following the submission of your tax return. Call (800) 829-1040, then follow the teleprompts to discover the status of your check.
ETA
I still have a US Skype account so I can make toll free calls to the US

Last edited by durham_lad; Jun 16th 2016 at 7:38 pm.