Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mailing personal items from UK to USA

Mailing personal items from UK to USA

Old Jun 21st 2020, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mailing personal items from UK to USA

Originally Posted by ParagonGreeny
Yes everything arrived on time. Literally got to my wife's apartment the day I flew in. The boxes were a little damaged and there was a few small holes in them but everything got here safe even my fragile stuff were fine, I did used a good amount of wrap on everything though. Overall the process was good. Paper work worried me but everything was smooth.

I used my own boxes and put my own sizes on the pickfords website as my boxes were not the same size as the ones they offered.
Good to know I've packed 20 boxes already of books and DVDs and still not got them all in!!! My K1 visa is currently delayed so can't even ship anything yet as they need a copy of my Visa. Debating best way to pack breakables have a few ornaments and glasses/mugs etc I wanted to take, might pack with some clothes I decided I don't need straight away lol. plus bubble wrap and possibly inside old celebration tubs. Just had to order another 10 boxes from amazon. Think its gonna cost about £1000 now lol. Tried to downsize some of my DVDs and books but I bought them because I wanted them lol so hard.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 4:22 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mailing personal items from UK to USA

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
Debating best way to pack breakables have a few ornaments and glasses/mugs etc I wanted to take, might pack with some clothes I decided I don't need straight away lol. plus bubble wrap and possibly inside old celebration tubs.
I did ALL our packing of stuff and we self shipped with our own container, only damage was minor on one piece of furniture, probably due to it shifting a little in the load. For breakables (mugs, wine glasses, ornaments, bone china, cut glass vases and bowls etc) I bought a big pack of packing tissue from our local box and packaging supplier, wrapped each piece in tissue, then bubble wrap and then packed them into strong cardboard boxes with any voids stuffed with shredded paper or packing peanuts. For my cut glass that was a wedding gift I did the same, but then place the packed box into a bigger box with a layer of packing peanuts in the base and then filled the gaps at the side and the top with more packing peanuts. For the bone china dinner service I still had some of the original textured paper separation pieces so used those or a couple of pieces of kitchen roll between each piece, then wrapped the stack of each type in tissue and bubble wrap (dinner plates together, side plates together etc) and then packed them into boxes so that they would be stood on edge (this is apparently their strongest aspect) and filled the voids with shredded paper and/or packing peanuts as before. I may well have put a layer of bubble wrap in the base of those boxes first too. What is important is that once you have everything in the boxes that the packaging cannot settle and the items move around. By wrapping them in bubble you can pack them firmly against each other without pressure points. These methods worked well for us.

Q family sat down to Christmas dinner with our safely transported wedding gift china.