Mailing personal items from UK to USA

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

ParagonGreeny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mailing personal items from UK to USA

i'm planning on taking 2 cases already for my computer parts
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 2:07 am
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
Can you take an X Box as hand luggage?
Just my 2 cents on this! I packed a suitcase with my xbox 360 (minus the hard drive) & an iMac and checked it (this is back in 2015), I took the hard drive from the 360 as my carry on. I protected the iMac and xbox within the suitcase by wrapping them both in a literal ton of my clothes and said a prayer as it went on the conveyor belt (they both survived).

When I went through UK security, I pulled the hard drive out my bag and basically showed it to an official saying 'can I xray this separately', to which I got a lot of confused looks till a younger male came round saw it, laughed and said it was fine.

I DID get stopped at security once (UK not US side) on a prior trip when I was taking over my mac mini (I have a lot of computers... I'm a nerd), who said the xray showed that it had a sharp object inside the box (It was packed in the original apple packaging). He carefully opened it and got immediately confused as there's nothing sharp in a box like that, and he basically concluded it must have been the plug. I was delayed about 15 minutes, but he was very gracious about it, and very careful with my bag.

Only time I've been stopped was when I forgot I had a big (expensive) bottle of mouthwash & a large bottle of cleanser in my carry on. Had to throw out both

Last edited by livinginnyc; Dec 3rd 2019 at 2:09 am. Reason: typooos
Old Dec 11th 2019, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ParagonGreeny
i'm planning on taking 2 cases already for my computer parts
How did you get on? Did you find a company to use. I've had a few people recommend send my bag. apparently £99 a box for 30kg i think. Been asking if anyone else has used them on here. not had a response yet.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

i had an online quote from Pickfords. just over £300 to ship 7 boxes 46 x 31 x 31cm and any weight from 5kg upto 25 that i checked is all same price. i think it only goes up in price at 30kg
Old Dec 11th 2019, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

i had an online quote from Pickfords. just over £300 to ship 7 boxes 46 x 31 x 31cm and any weight from 5kg upto 25 that i checked is all same price. i think it only goes up in price at 30kg
Is that price all in as saw another company and it had the fees and then a load more fees to pay once it reached the states? Is it air or sea freight? Thats cool. I'm a long way off just starting the process. But looking to see how much I need to save. its mainly going to be boxes of DVDs, Books and some collectables and random bits and pieces.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

from what i can see thats everything apart from picking it up and delivering and that was an extra £52 or something in the 50s. i was pretty happy with the quote for how much i have to ship i will let you know in the next few weeks how much it actually comes to when the give me a final price once i send them off. they dont charge me until they take it to their depot and weight it themselves.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

from what i can see thats everything apart from picking it up and delivering and that was an extra £52 or something in the 50s. i was pretty happy with the quote for how much i have to ship i will let you know in the next few weeks how much it actually comes to when the give me a final price once i send them off. they dont charge me until they take it to their depot and weight it themselves.
Did you ship your stuff yet or still waiting?
Old Dec 29th 2019, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

i have paid a deposit and they are picking it up in just over a week. will get my final price when they do but their quote said around £300 and insurance is 5% of cargo value
Old Dec 31st 2019, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

i have paid a deposit and they are picking it up in just over a week. will get my final price when they do but their quote said around £300 and insurance is 5% of cargo value
how many boxes was it in the end? Trying to decide whether send my bag or someone like Pickfords is cheaper for books, dvds and other bits and pieces.
do you do a detailed list for each box?
Old Dec 31st 2019, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

I'm shipping 7 boxes at around 10kg each. i went with Pickfords because they seemed to have the best reviews online.

https://www.pickfords.co.uk/internat...on?country=usa

That is a list of all the forms you need to fill in on their website. seemed like quite a lot at first but its easy enough to fill in, mostly of my stuff in music and dvds plus a few other little personal items nothing big or super expensive.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

I'm shipping 7 boxes at around 10kg each. i went with Pickfords because they seemed to have the best reviews online.

https://www.pickfords.co.uk/internat...on?country=usa

That is a list of all the forms you need to fill in on their website. seemed like quite a lot at first but its easy enough to fill in, mostly of my stuff in music and dvds plus a few other little personal items nothing big or super expensive.
Yeah I got a quote just now online for 10 book boxes, 2 export cartons and 2 tea cartons for £496 but seems to be another £90 for them to collect the boxes. Looks like they actually provide the boxes too. Or did you buy your own? Have you got insurance or did you take theirs? not sure how much it was 5% of value of goods. will be mainly dvds and books,a few boxed action figures and stuffed animals lol so not sure how much would declare the value as.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

i bought my own boxes from Amazon, Pickfords did recommend i use theirs when i called but i already had them packed when i got in touch with them so im just going to keep them in my own boxes plus if their boxes are different size i might end up needing more and it costing more than using my own. their argument was mine might not be strong enough. yes they do seem to charge for picking the boxes up too. im sure it said £50-£60 for mine so that must depend on the amount of boxes. i got their insurance, overall my guess was value of around £660 and their insurance will cost me £36 and im fine with that price. its difficult to put a price on old dvds, photos and small ornaments with no real value to anyone else other than myself.
Old Jan 1st 2020, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

i bought my own boxes from Amazon, Pickfords did recommend i use theirs when i called but i already had them packed when i got in touch with them so im just going to keep them in my own boxes plus if their boxes are different size i might end up needing more and it costing more than using my own. their argument was mine might not be strong enough. yes they do seem to charge for picking the boxes up too. im sure it said £50-£60 for mine so that must depend on the amount of boxes. i got their insurance, overall my guess was value of around £660 and their insurance will cost me £36 and im fine with that price. its difficult to put a price on old dvds, photos and small ornaments with no real value to anyone else other than myself.
Yeah I've been looking on amazon for the same box sizes as pickfords and cant seem to find them
Old Jun 8th 2020, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

How did your pickfords process go? Did everything arrive safe?
Old Jun 8th 2020, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
How did your pickfords process go? Did everything arrive safe?
Yes everything arrived on time. Literally got to my wife's apartment the day I flew in. The boxes were a little damaged and there was a few small holes in them but everything got here safe even my fragile stuff were fine, I did used a good amount of wrap on everything though. Overall the process was good. Paper work worried me but everything was smooth.

I used my own boxes and put my own sizes on the pickfords website as my boxes were not the same size as the ones they offered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.