Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mailing personal items from UK to USA

Mailing personal items from UK to USA

Old Nov 29th 2019, 1:09 am
Just Joined

ParagonGreeny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mailing personal items from UK to USA

Finally got my visa last week and looking at sending a 46 x 31 x 31 cm box over weighing about 10kg with UPS for a nice decent price of about £40,

The problem is im getting very confused of any forms i may or may not need to send in. im seeing some sites CBP form 3299 but that seems to be with big shipping companies and i am seeing people say its not needed if sending a smaller box over such as mine. And also some sites saying CN22 or CN23 labels on the box.

And if i do need to fill in CBP 3299 some websites are telling me i don't need to fill in Part IV section D "LIST OF ARTICLES" if items are older than 1 year and only if they are classified under PART IV A, B7 or C on the CBP 3299 form

Inside the box is a lot of random bits. a few Xbox controllers, tv show box sets, a model of a boat i once went on and a few other little ornaments. i have maybe 3 or 4 of these boxes to send but only 1 for now, another just before i leave in 7 weeks and the rest will be kept with family until i get them shipped over as they are just full of DVD's. i dont have a whole lot of stuff i need to send over. biggest part would be my PC closer to the time of moving.

any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by ParagonGreeny; Nov 29th 2019 at 1:25 am.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mailing personal items from UK to USA

UPS will be able to tell you exactly what you need, but from my memory of when I shipped my die cast metal aircraft over 6 years ago it was just a form that listed the items included that was affixed to the box which sounds like the list of articles you mentioned.

There was also a form that stated that they were personal items rather than for commercial sale/use as I recall.

It arrived fine.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

did you have to get these forms printed yourself or did the company you shipped with provide them do you remember?
Old Nov 29th 2019, 5:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I think I printed them myself. I used Royal Mail Priority.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know how you get on. I am just about to start the K1 process and the main things i plan to take over are books, dvds, my 2 x boxes, mega drive and some collectibles and trying to work out best way to take or send over. whether air freight post or extra suitcases etc. Can you take an X Box as hand luggage?
Old Nov 29th 2019, 8:04 pm
Often not so civil...

Can you take an X Box as hand luggage?
A large box shape with bundles of internal wires???

I wouldn't!
Old Nov 29th 2019, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
A large box shape with bundles of internal wires???

I wouldn't!
what would be the safest way to take? Don't want it to get damaged or stolen
Old Nov 29th 2019, 8:39 pm
Often not so civil...

Ship it. If you choose the right service it's fully insured.

Honestly though it's only an XBox, it's not valuable. Ditch it and buy new. You can get one for less than $200 here.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 9:39 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Ship it. If you choose the right service it's fully insured.

Honestly though it's only an XBox, it's not valuable. Ditch it and buy new. You can get one for less than $200 here.
Depends on exactly which Xbox and whether the OP wants to still be able to play region locked games. Also we use our UK Xbox 360 for playing UK DVDs.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Depends on exactly which Xbox and whether the OP wants to still be able to play region locked games. Also we use our UK Xbox 360 for playing UK DVDs.
exactly why I want to bring for both those reasons it’s a x box one s and I also have a Sega mega drive I wanted to take too.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk

exactly why I want to bring for both those reasons it’s a x box one s and I also have a Sega mega drive I wanted to take too.

Pretty sure you can changes region in the Xbox settings afaik it's not region locked, price of shipping plus new PSU? I'd ditch
Old Nov 30th 2019, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phathamster
Pretty sure you can changes region in the Xbox settings afaik it's not region locked, price of shipping plus new PSU? I'd ditch
my fiancée has the new PS4 and she can only change the region 4 times then it’s locked. I’m sure I can take as hand luggage. Googled it and will contact virgin before I fly. Will probably ask at check in when I visit next. Am sure you just take out at security like a laptop to be screened.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 11:39 am
Just Joined

i took my PS4 over to the US last year as hand luggage and there was no problem. just take it out the bag as security as they ask you for every electrical item
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 11:41 am
Just Joined

So i have contacted UPS and just getting nowhere with them so looks like i will have to find a good shipping company any recommendations? i see the ones listed in the help and guidance page but anyone have good experiences with any?
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ParagonGreeny
So i have contacted UPS and just getting nowhere with them so looks like i will have to find a good shipping company any recommendations? i see the ones listed in the help and guidance page but anyone have good experiences with any?

Check excess baggage costs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.