British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mailing Christmas Packages (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mailing-christmas-packages-340978/)

AmerLisa Dec 4th 2005 5:54 pm

Mailing Christmas Packages

Kind of late at the starting gate for this one, but dear daughter has decided (last minute, of course) not to come home for Christmas. Has anyone mailed packages this late and who did you use? UPS, FedEx, etc. Anyone better than the other?

snowbunny Dec 4th 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Mailing Christmas Packages

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Kind of late at the starting gate for this one, but dear daughter has decided (last minute, of course) not to come home for Christmas. Has anyone mailed packages this late and who did you use? UPS, FedEx, etc. Anyone better than the other?

How heavy are you talking?

Most of the sites (USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL) have on-line rate calculators if you know the weight and dimensions of the package. I've had decent luck with DHL. The USPS are also at the mercy of the Royal Mail at t'other end whereas the private shippers do a better job of tracking a parcel.

AmerLisa Dec 4th 2005 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
How heavy are you talking?

Most of the sites (USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL) have on-line rate calculators if you know the weight and dimensions of the package. I've had decent luck with DHL. The USPS are also at the mercy of the Royal Mail at t'other end whereas the private shippers do a better job of tracking a parcel.

Hmm, haven't tried DHL. Have looked at FedEx, UPS and the USPS for a general weight of 20 pounds (although I'm hoping its not the big.....but you never know :rolleyes: ) USPS was the cheapest, with an average delivery date of 5 to 7 working days. Although I'm a bit worried that might mean whenever we damn well feel like it. I'll give DHL a look and see what their rates are.

USBound Dec 4th 2005 7:33 pm

Hmm, haven't tried DHL. Have looked at FedEx, UPS and the USPS for a general weight of 20 pounds (although I'm hoping its not the big.....but you never know :rolleyes: ) USPS was the cheapest, with an average delivery date of 5 to 7 working days. Although I'm a bit worried that might mean whenever we damn well feel like it. I'll give DHL a look and see what their rates are.

we never have any problems using USPS .. their 5/7 days is normally 10 days but thats not a big issue until about Dec 13/15th

andy

snowbunny Dec 4th 2005 10:25 pm

USPS was the cheapest, with an average delivery date of 5 to 7 working days. Although I'm a bit worried that might mean whenever we damn well feel like it. I'll give DHL a look and see what their rates are.

USPS are cheapest because they don't charge by dimension which is only going to bump up the cost, not bring it down. But remember, it has to also go into the Royal Mail at the other end, and that means being dependent on both services. I've not had too many problems with letters and small packages but larger ones are a different story. There usually is more in the way of customs inspection and the private couriers have greased these wheels well.

woodsey Dec 5th 2005 5:58 pm

late???? I posted mine on Saturday and I was proud of myself for being so organized this year, I just used the standard USPS service, cost me a bleedin' arm and a leg though, $180.. :eek: can't imagine how expensive it would have been if I'd have used say Fedex..

Snowbunny have you had issues with Royal Mail I've noticed a few times you've criticised them, I personally have never had issues, think they're brilliant!

snowbunny Dec 5th 2005 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey
Snowbunny have you had issues with Royal Mail I've noticed a few times you've criticised them, I personally have never had issues, think they're brilliant!

I've had issues but that's because the postie on the route where I send most things is a bit..... sticky-fingered. I've had excellent service *receiving* post from the UK, though every large package I've sent (even not to my one friend, but to other parts of the country) has been delayed considerably. To be sure they are brilliant compared to USPS. It's just if I am going to pay an arm and a leg to get something there by a specific date, I'd rather pay another arm (or leg, or both :D) for better tracking through DHL.

I have a mate in Glasgow who works for DHL so she can track things for me on both sides of the pond. This obviously helps!

Partystar Dec 5th 2005 6:22 pm

I use USPS to try to save some money, although it still costs a lot, I always make sure that I insure everything I send, it's always worth it, plus it could be a good idea to keep the receipts of the things inside the package until after it is all safely received.

I've never had a problem with Royal Mail, but I have had a problem with USPS. When we moved over here from England last year, hubby sent (through USPS on base) our brand new very very expensive computer that he made himself, so it would be here when we arrived. He thought it would be safer & quicker than it being shipped with our household stuff that the Air Force were sending.

He packed it extremely well, in the original boxes with all the Styrofoam & then put that box inside a larger one with clothes around every side & cellotaped the whole thing up with brown packing tape & wrote fragile all over it! When it arrived the whole side had been ripped open, you could see the clothes inside through the clear tape they had put over part of the huge hole, I'm sure some of the clothes were missing too.

The computer box was not damaged much, just a tiny bit battered, but when we tried to use the computer, it wouldn't even boot up. Hubby knows quite a lot about computers, but in the end we had to take it to be repaired, $600 later, it was fixed. We got refunded a few months later, but it was a lot of hassle & we learned that no matter how well you pack something or how well you label it, they don't give a sh*t & they'll drop it or kick it anyway! So always make sure you insure your packages & pack them well anyway, it will help with your insurance claim.

Just thought I might point out that this could very well be the fault of the military, they aren't well known for their brains in the post office!!!

Bob Dec 5th 2005 6:26 pm

Sent stuff last week with USPS and it arrived today, and a few days before that, with the slow boat to Austria also arrived apparantly...

AmerLisa Dec 5th 2005 10:50 pm

Well I won't be sending anything until Monday the 12th, at the earliest. :o :o Speaking of insurance to the UK, I was mailing my daughter a package (quite a few months ago now) and was told by a moron at USPS (obviously erroneously - the ******* morons) that they wouldn't insure packages to the UK. Anyway, they are by far the cheapest and I'll just have to see how things go and hopefully it will get there in time.

Partystar Dec 5th 2005 10:55 pm

Well I won't be sending anything until Monday the 12th, at the earliest. :o :o Speaking of insurance to the UK, I was mailing my daughter a package (quite a few months ago now) and was told by a moron at USPS (obviously erroneously - the ******* morons) that they wouldn't insure packages to the UK. Anyway, they are by far the cheapest and I'll just have to see how things go and hopefully it will get there in time.

I've mailed quite a few packages from AZ to the UK & Australia & have insured all of them. All 5 of the packages have arrived safely & in good time, so I'm sure you'll be fine. The insurance is pretty cheap too & it definitely makes you feel more at ease.

Big D Dec 6th 2005 2:45 pm

we always use USPS and have never had any issues - posted the crimbley pressies last Tuesday and they were in the UK safe and sound yesterday. As for cost it is so much cheaper this way than to send stuff from the UK.

I think the last posting date is next week sometime - but i guess the post gets worse the closer you get!

britvic Dec 6th 2005 2:52 pm

Just wondered how many stamps you lot use for sending cards back home? I use 4 for the medium size card and 3 for airmail letters, but finding out lately some never arrive :mad: WTF's going on.

Big D Dec 6th 2005 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
Just wondered how many stamps you lot use for sending cards back home? I use 4 for the medium size card and 3 for airmail letters, but finding out lately some never arrive :mad: WTF's going on.

Just one expensive one! 80 something cents i think off the top of my head....

Partystar Dec 6th 2005 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by britvic

I think I put 80c on mine, but if it was big or heavy then I'd put a 37c on too. Do you put AIRMAIL stickers on them? Never hurts to do this, you never know how stupid they could be!!!