Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mail in rebates????

Mail in rebates????

Old Jul 25th 2004, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Slushpuppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mail in rebates????

Last edited by Slushpuppy; Aug 1st 2004 at 1:49 am.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 8:31 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mail in rebates????

Originally posted by Slushpuppy
Can anyone tell me if rebates given to you for purchasing certain items are classed as income, and are they taxable?

I know they take forever to arrive
Old Jul 25th 2004, 8:46 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure they are not. As long as the cash you used to purchase the item was 'tax paid' income.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:51 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

definitely not income
Old Jul 26th 2004, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

How could it be classed as income if your actually getting a refund of money you've already paid?

And yes they take forever, its a ridiculous game over here. I think they must gamble on the fact that people can't be bothered to jump through a hoop and then wait 5 years (tad exageration) to get a measly $10 back.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Last edited by Slushpuppy; Aug 1st 2004 at 1:50 am.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

I really hate rebates and 'cash back'. I mean WTF? I hand over the money to you, pay sales tax on it, and then a few months later you send me a cheque. WHy the heck not knock off the 'rebate' value at the cash desk?
Old Jul 26th 2004, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Im just asking because my husbands employers told him that it was classed as income. He works in the USA, for a UK agency, and is paid in pounds sterling into a UK bank.

Therefore he doesnt pay tax in Britain, or have earnings in the USA. But as I say he was told not to buy anything that gave a rebate as they were classed as earnings and as such he would have to start paying Americab taxes on ALL his income?!?!?!

Yes it is confusing but as I am the one who has bought something that had a $150 rebate linked to it, I was just worried that I would be interfering with his tax situation. And I have tried to find out more from an official source but have had no joy.
Do you have a US account too? Most of the rebates come back in a cheque.

Ash
Old Jul 26th 2004, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:39 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

if he lives in america then he should pay taxes on all him income irrespective of where it comes from...
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
if he lives in america then he should pay taxes on all him income irrespective of where it comes from...
lol.

Rebates are not income. Nor are refunds; not even tax refunds.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:55 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

Therefore he doesnt pay tax in Britain, or have earnings in the USA. But as I say he was told not to buy anything that gave a rebate as they were classed as earnings and as such he would have to start paying Americab taxes on ALL his income?!?!?!

Yes it is confusing but as I am the one who has bought something that had a $150 rebate linked to it, I was just worried that I would be interfering with his tax situation. And I have tried to find out more from an official source but have had no joy.
Rebates are usually "mail in" rebates. If an item you want is like that, you certainly can buy it but not send in the rebate. I'm sure there's a lot of people who forget to mail in the rebate by the deadline and miss out getting some money back.

I also don't understand. You and your husband are living in the US but not paying tax in Britain. So, you should be paying tax in the US.

There's a reciprocal tax agreement between the UK and US but you should be paying income tax in one of the two countries...

Are you or your husband American? If that's the case, then at least one of you should be filing US taxes.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

He is liable to pay tax in one country or the other but the specifics of the situation will dictate which it is. You don't need to have earnings in the US to be liable for tax there, nor do you have to live in Britain to be liable for tax there. I pay tax in Canada, Britain and the US.

I suspect what your husband has been advised is to do nothing that would spark an interest in him, which might include a rebate cheque (although I'm not certain how).
Old Jul 26th 2004, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Rebates are usually "mail in" rebates. If an item you want is like that, you certainly can buy it but not send in the rebate. I'm sure there's a lot of people who forget to mail in the rebate by the deadline and miss out getting some money back.

I also don't understand. You and your husband are living in the US but not paying tax in Britain. So, you should be paying tax in the US.

There's a reciprocal tax agreement between the UK and US but you should be paying income tax in one of the two countries...

Are you or your husband American? If that's the case, then at least one of you should be filing US taxes.
Not true, I was working for the British Embassy in DC, but inside an american company. My wages were paid by the Embassy and were tax free. I paid no tax in either country.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.