Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mail-in-Rebate question

Mail-in-Rebate question

Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:35 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mail-in-Rebate question

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
You few seem very lucky

They are still a scam though If they really want to sell it at a reduced rate then do so when you buy it.
I've never had a problem either - I'm sure one of the reasons they do it is that some people will forget/not bother and so they end up gaining over offering an instant discount.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it, if you've ever prepared paperwork for an USCIS application, completing a rebate form and mailing it in is a doddle. Really!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The way I see it, if you've ever prepared paperwork for an USCIS application, completing a rebate form and mailing it in is a doddle. Really!
LOL..and thats is so true ...
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Rebates are kack, they take ages and it's a good scam as they usually don't end up paying...saying that, I've had a couple of rebates that weren't a problem and one that refused to pay up saying I had to buy a product through a certain online store, as it was exclusive to the site I replied with a sarky bollocking and it then got approved...so advice would be keep the slip of paper or website info for later if you need it.

As for the cheque, unless it's for a large chunk of money, bin it, cost more for MIL to cash it than worth...though depending on the cheque, might be able to sign it over to you...
Old May 13th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Symantec, Norton AV previous user rebate. Mail in on 4/27/08, received check dated, 5/10/08. Fasted rebate check I have had. Maybe they are getting better, don't hold our breaths.
Reg. Frank
Ps. I purchased the software at Staples, think they may have put pressure on these companies to cough up quicker.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Just completed a rebate for a purchase from Sears on Saturday, May 10th and the best thing is that I did it online. The small print says the rebate check should arrive in 6-8 weeks time.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Just completed a rebate for a purchase from Sears on Saturday, May 10th and the best thing is that I did it online. The small print says the rebate check should arrive in 6-8 weeks time.
Online probably a good idea for these things I reckon - I hope they all go that way - ensures an audit trail, gets rid of "Lost in the Post" type syndrome....
Old May 13th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by y2b4sure
Wondering what your thoughts are on this...

My Mother in Law is visiting from the UK at the moment, and wanted to buy a laptop while over here. I found a good deal at the mall that involved a mail-in-rebate.

She paid for the laptop on her UK credit card, and we gave my address and phone number.

Now, I'm filling in the mail-in-rebate form, and I noticed that the retailer will only pay out to the name on the credit card receipt. So I'm going to receive a check with my Mother-in-Laws name on it.

What do you think my options are to get the money?

Could she cash the check in the UK?

Could I add her to my checking account?
Something else?

Thanks guys.
Easiest way would be for you to sign her name to the back of the cheque and deposit it in your account. Put for deposit only on the cheque, if she never comes forward to question it they won't know.