British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mail-in-Rebate question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mail-rebate-question-533151/)

y2b4sure Apr 29th 2008 6:10 pm

Mail-in-Rebate question

Wondering what your thoughts are on this...

My Mother in Law is visiting from the UK at the moment, and wanted to buy a laptop while over here. I found a good deal at the mall that involved a mail-in-rebate.

She paid for the laptop on her UK credit card, and we gave my address and phone number.

Now, I'm filling in the mail-in-rebate form, and I noticed that the retailer will only pay out to the name on the credit card receipt. So I'm going to receive a check with my Mother-in-Laws name on it.

What do you think my options are to get the money?

Could she cash the check in the UK?
Could I add her to my checking account?
Something else?

Thanks guys.

Patrick Hasler Apr 29th 2008 6:43 pm

Re: Mail-in-Rebate question

NEVER ! ...... NEVER ! ....... NEVER !
Buy anything with a mail in rebate :frown: They are just a f**kin con :frown:

Half the time they find some way of delaying the payment by saying the forms are wrong and the time expires, If they really are going to give you a reduced price it will be when you buy the item, they rely on most people not bothering to apply.

Discounts should instant, not some time later if everything is correct :frown:

Duncan Roberts Apr 29th 2008 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 6284470)

Half the time they find some way of delaying the payment by saying the forms are wrong and the time expires, If they really are going to give you a reduced price it will be when you buy the item, they rely on most people not bothering to apply.

I agree. The only mail order rebates I've had any luck with are for medications and I needed to buy them regardless of the price. I've bought other stuff that have had mail in rebates and they have always been returned with some sort of bullshit excuse why they couldn't be paid. They were the cheapest price without the rebate so I was more annoyed about the con rather than the fact I didn't get money back.

On the subject of the check, should you get it. Ask your bank what your mum needs to do to sign the check over to you, shouldn't be too hard. Then you just pay it into your account.

Longy Apr 29th 2008 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 6284522)
I agree.....

I have done them many times and can say I have never had a problem. It sometimes take a while for the check to arrive.

y2b4sure Apr 29th 2008 7:09 pm

I've been quite successful with rebates too, I'm sure the manufacturers aren't crying in their sleep if a consumer forgets to send one in though.

Back to the real point of my thread though...how to get that money from a check not in my name...

So it sounds like talking to my US bank (BoA) might be an option as well as my mother-in-law cashing the check in the UK?

tamms_1965 Apr 29th 2008 7:10 pm

I've received every rebate I've mailed in. Including over $200 worth from my last laptop & accessories. I follow the directions to the letter and have never had a problem.

As for the name on the check.....she could sign the check first and you can then sign it and deposit it into your account. You'll just have to mail it to her (unless she okays it for you to sign her name) and have more of a wait for the money. My adult kids do it all the time (they have different last name than I) and it's never been a problem.

chicagojlo Apr 29th 2008 7:13 pm

I've also had no trouble with rebates. We recently shredded a Circuit City check by mistake and they sent us a replacement within a week.
I don't know what you could do about the check in your mother's name. Is it a name similiar to yours? You could try depositing it in your account I suppose if it is.

Patrick Hasler Apr 29th 2008 7:22 pm

You few seem very lucky :thumbsup:

They are still a scam though :) If they really want to sell it at a reduced rate then do so when you buy it. :)

Dan725 Apr 29th 2008 7:46 pm

I think we've gotten all ours.....eventually. Can take up to 4 months+ to arrive.

I agree Pat, I think they are a crap idea, and if I was faced with a choice between a $15 in store rebate and a $20 mail in, I'd probably go for the store on to be all done and dusted - but the reason they offer the mail ins is purely because some people forget/fill the forms in wrong, and also the fact that they can make some good interest/do something else with on that money they are holding back.

RoadWarriorFromLP Apr 29th 2008 8:00 pm

If you buy a PC, rebates are the norm. If your PC purchase doesn't include a rebate, you should be wondering why you paid so much.

The main thing is to submit them ASAP, and to stay on top of it to make sure that you collect it. They aren't a scam, per se, but they do offer them with the expectation that not everyone will turn in the paperwork.

Not sure what to do about this check, though. I've cashed foreign currency checks at my US bank without a fee, but it will depend upon the quality of her banking relationship as to whether she can do the same.

Ray Apr 29th 2008 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by y2b4sure (Post 6284340)
Could she cash the check in the UK?
Could I add her to my checking account?
Something else?

Thanks guys.

Take her into any bank branch open a free acount
in her name... not yours ..even use her own UK address

It can have advantages to have an extra account
at your disposal

chicagojlo Apr 29th 2008 8:38 pm

I've deposited UK checks (thanks Dad!) into my Dutch account without a problem before, they just charged me a processing fee and took a couple of weeks to clear it.

paddingtongreen Apr 29th 2008 8:59 pm

I've never had a problem with mail in rebates, the people I know who have are people who don't bother to read and understand the requirements. Then they get pissed off and say the payer is falsely delaying payment.

MsElui Apr 29th 2008 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 6284639)
You few seem very lucky :thumbsup:

They are still a scam though :) If they really want to sell it at a reduced rate then do so when you buy it. :)

because they know half of us are lazy bleeders and wont actually get round to filling it in and or mailing it off. They dont have to give the cash if you dont apply.

we got a free satnav 'send in' when we bought our washing machine. was very handy for the second car.
Initially they sent us a letter saying the serial numbers had already been used but when i phoned up to query it they sorted it without a murmour and we got the satnav pretty quick.

NC Penguin Apr 30th 2008 2:09 pm

I've always received a rebate check for all rebates I've mailed in. Granted, it takes a long time for the check to arrive but I don't find them a con. However, I do fill in the paperwork correctly and send in the required attachments. Years of dealing with the USCIS do pay off.:)