Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mail Order, Damaged Goods..

Mail Order, Damaged Goods..

Old May 20th 2005, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mail Order, Damaged Goods..

Not sure if this is standard procedure but this has happened to me twice now, I recently orded some picture frames online, when I received them the frames were damaged and one was the wrong size, I have contacted the company and they have sent out new frames, when I asked what to do with the old ones they said , "oh just throw them away" All that is wrong with one of them is that the inner matt is missing, the frame is still perfectly usable...so I have now got a free picture frame, the other has cracked glass, again if I buy a cheaper frame with the same size glass I have another almost free frame..I'm certainly not complaining but couldn't you just lie and get loads of free stuff..
Old May 20th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mail Order, Damaged Goods..

Originally Posted by woodsey
Not sure if this is standard procedure but this has happened to me twice now, I recently orded some picture frames online, when I received them the frames were damaged and one was the wrong size, I have contacted the company and they have sent out new frames, when I asked what to do with the old ones they said , "oh just throw them away" All that is wrong with one of them is that the inner matt is missing, the frame is still perfectly usable...so I have now got a free picture frame, the other has cracked glass, again if I buy a cheaper frame with the same size glass I have another almost free frame..I'm certainly not complaining but couldn't you just lie and get loads of free stuff..
Yes of course you can lie and get lots of things like that, however not all companies have the same policy, they may ask for it to be sent back BEFORE they send out replacements. If you try it again and again they will get suspicious and therefor won't beleive you again, and it wouldn't surprise me if there is some sort of black list between companies.
Old May 20th 2005, 4:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gooner81
....and it wouldn't surprise me if there is some sort of black list between companies.
There is...credit card companies keep track of peoples returns and shops can keep a record, to many returns or exchanges and they then won't let you do it...JC Penny's, NY Co etc all do it, get black listed after a couple returns in a season.
Old May 20th 2005, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Long story!
For our wedding my grandparents wanted to get us crystal glasses. So me and my Grandpa went down to the shop he wanted to get them from and I picked out a very nice red wine style. had a heart attack when I saw they were 80 quid a pair though. We arranged for them to be sent directly from Waterford to my (now) wife.
A couple of days before I left my job my boss came up to me and said how much money they had and what did I want. As we only had 6 glasses I asked for 2 more. So off we went to the same shop to the same guy and asked if I could get the same glasses. He told me they were out and that Waterford had made a mistake with the cutting of a batch. They had the design I chose cut on the wrong shaped glass. So then I asked about the glasses that were already sent. I didn't know what they looked like so he said when I get there to check and then call them if they were wrong. So I come here and check them and they are wrong so I call up and he says he will call Waterford and see how they want to handle the return and replacement. Next day he calls back and says that Waterford doesn't want them back and they are just going to send me 8 of the correct glasses. So we now have 6 perfectly good Waterford crystal glasses that potentially no one else in the world has!
Old May 20th 2005, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
.....I'm certainly not complaining but couldn't you just lie and get loads of free stuff..
Probably only with cheap stuff, where the costs of shipping and handling exceed the actual costs of the goods.......
Old May 20th 2005, 7:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
So we now have 6 perfectly good Waterford crystal glasses that potentially no one else in the world has!
I'd try my luck on ebay!